Grateful Rays give Orioles’ Robert Andino a standing ovation

Mar 9, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT

Robert Andino Getty Images

Robert Andino couldn’t be granted a playoff share, but the Rays did give him a standing ovation when he came to bat in the first inning Friday of their game against the Orioles.

Andino had the ninth-inning single that beat the Red Sox on the final day of the 2011 regular season. The Rays went on to beat the Yankees later in the evening, giving them the AL wild card.

“We just talked about that prior to the game, what was the appropriate thing to do? We saw him in the two-hole, we said let’s give him a nice round of applause,” Rays manager Joe Maddon told the Tampa Tribune. “He was startled by it. He didn’t know what was going on. He was looking around. I thought it was pretty good.”

Andino went on to double in the at-bat. The Rays and Orioles ended up playing to a 3-3 tie in 10 innings.

1. yankeesgameday - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

That’s pretty cool.

2. randygnyc - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

And Joe Maddon continues as the class act that he is.

3. stex52 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Classy. I like that. To me in baseball you applaud the great performance, even if the other guy does it. You just wish you didn’t have to.

• bigmeechy74 - Mar 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

they did it because he helped them get in the playoffs. otherwise you don’t ever applaud the other guy’s performance

4. mikeinfl - Mar 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I’m going to see the Orioles Sunday. If Andino plays I will stand and applaud.

5. Old Gator - Mar 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM

A standing ovation and four dollars will buy you a watered down cappuccino at Starbucks. Pass the cap and give the guy a playoff share!

• alexo0 - Mar 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Starbucks. True hipster behavior. Bet you roll your eyes every time you buy one too.

• paperlions - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I’m no hipster, but recognizing their pattern of behavior….wouldn’t hipsters go to a small locally owned coffee shop that “no one knows about” rather than to a hyper-corporate chain that hasn’t made a good cup of coffee in 20 years?

• Old Gator - Mar 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Of course they would. My local is the Luna Star Cafe in North Macondo, directly across the street from the Museum of Contemporary Kitsch. Not just great coffee – my standard is a mason jar of iced cappuccino (to honor the Grateful Dead classic “Brown Eyed Women:” “Nineteen twenty went and stepped to the bar / drank to the dregs of the whiskey jar.”) Big Three Stooges poster on the wall, flanked by an Egyptian Godzilla movie poster, a poster of Bettie Page and rows of framed 1950s 45RPM record jackets. Shelves and cabinets piled high with assorted tchatchkes, and home to a humongus beer list that excludes the yuppie standards (don’t bother asking for a Bud or a Heineken but you can definitely get a Flying Dog), superlative personal pizzas, homemeade hummos, elk burgers and sandwiches, and nightly music that runs the gamut from sublime to that of which “the ridiculous” would be high praise indeed including a twice monthly Saturday open mike nite that has been consistently rated among the best worst in Macondo, all presided over by that ethereal goddess of the apron and bottle opener, the lissome Brie.

And here’s the best part: the Luna Star actually drove the Starbuck’s across the street out of business, succumbing to that round of over-expansion triage immolations year ‘fore last. It’s a lamp shop now! We collectively drew a chalk line homicide figure on the sidewalk labeled “Starbucks” the day it closed and threw a party. What a great day for the revolution!

• Old Gator - Mar 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Oh, yeah – and I never fail to show up there without a dogeared old Signet edition of The Subterraneans (the one with the introduction by Henry Miller) or Catcher in the Ryse half rolled up in my back pocket. I know that’s hopelessly hipster iconic – but lookit, it’s hopelessly iconic of the generation before mine. If I were true to my contemporaneous roots it’d be a dog eared half rolled copy of Siddhartha, but I get away with the anachronism because – as voting patterns the last two decades would tell you anyway – Americans don’t understand shit of history. That, and given how much of my once resplendent crop of hipster hair I have left, it’s only a compensatory gesture anyway.

• cur68 - Mar 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Saw an anti-Gator’s Vocabulary screed the other day in the comments section. It was amusingly stupid in that it glorified being ignorant. Komedy aside, I’d just like to chip in that if I were going to be true to my contemporaneous roots then I’d have Never Cry Wolf in my pocket, my Ghadi t-shirt with French slogan (it says “Ne pas tirer sur le messager) on, and my vintage Blue Jays cap with brim turned to precisely 1330. Of course I’d be forced to try and speak what limited French I know with my West Indian Accent, and I’d probably trip while clumping along in my Doc Martins, thus spilling my double latte all over Mahātmā’s kindly visage. Any chance to be an utter caricature should never be passed, up, IMO, especially when you’re the only person, outside of family members, whom you could be caraciturizing.

• jwbiii - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Just us kids hangin’ out today
        Watchin’ our long hair turnin’ gray
        Not so skinny maybe not so free
        Not so many as we used to be

• Old Gator - Mar 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Cur: I’m chuffed that you went out of your way to include the sandhi long Devanagri a’s in Mahātma. It may just be that I’m imposing medieval Sanskrit diacriticals on modern Hindi but if my memory serves me right, Mahātma is the adjectivial conjunction of maha (great) and atman (spirit or soul), with the sandhi ā resulting from the combining of the terminal -a of one term and the leading a- of the second.

I grow old, but three years of college Sanskrit kind of sticks in your craw…..but anti-Gator screeds notwithstanding, man, what other baseball blog can you log into to get your Sanskrit corrected? Hah?

• cur68 - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Once again, FTW.

6. giselleisasucubus - Mar 10, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Has everyone lost their minds? Here is an opinion- play f*&king baseball and stop kissing the ass of someone in your division for helping you into the playoffs. That is frigin dumb. If I was a Ray, I would tell the Hipster doofus to go f&*k himself. Standing o. Pussification of america. Dumbest thing I have heard since seeing the Sanchez extension.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Pussification of america.

Yeah, they should have shot him for being a traitor and signing with another team? Is that better?

Jeezy Chreezy man wtf is wrong with you?

• El Bravo - Mar 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I don’t always comment on weekends, but when I do, I prefer telling giselleisasucubus that he’s the biggest vag in America.

• IdahoMariner - Mar 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Aw, man, can’t we stop using this as an insult? There are so, so many words to choose from. Or just go with prick. Don’t drag lady-parts into it, those of us who have them don’t want to be associated with this ass-hat, either.

• lyon810 - Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM

sounds like someone listens to The Adam Carolla Show

• Old Gator - Mar 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Has everyone lost their dictionaries? Succubus is spelled with two c’s.

7. seanb20124 - Mar 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Thought players voted on who got playoff cash?

• jeffbbf - Mar 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

You can’t give a playoff share to someone who didn’t play on the team.

8. jwbiii - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Rule 21 MISCONDUCT
    (b) GIFT FOR DEFEATING COMPETING CLUB. Any player or person connected with a Club who shall offer or give any gift or reward to a player or person connected with another Club for services rendered or supposed to be or to have been rendered in defeating or attempting to defeat a competing Club, and any player or person connected with another Club who shall who shall solicit or accept from a player connected with another Club any gift or reward for any services rendered, or supposed to have been rendered, or who, having been offered any such gift or reward, shall fail to inform the Commissioners or the President of the Minor League Association, as the case may be, immediately of such offer, and all of the facts and circumstances connected therewith, shall be declared ineligible for not less than three years.

Landis sure did like run on sentences.

• Old Gator - Mar 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Of course he did. He was a lawyer once.

9. mqcarpenter - Mar 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Pure awesome. Great call Maddon.

10. birdman6824 - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:04 PM

“Hey Commish, those nice dudes donated 5% of a playoff share to me, and here’s is the reason” . Rule 21 thereby rendered invalid.

• jwbiii - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Other paragraphs of Rule 21 cover paying players on other teams to play poorly, paying umpires, threatening or assaulting umpires, and of course betting on baseball. Repealing this rule would be good for Charlie Hustler but bad for baseball.

11. birdman6824 - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM

here’s or here is (your choice) – EDIT FUNCTION

12. birdman6824 - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

My comments don’t seem to be attaching to the correct comment. Maybe I should try them in Sanskrit. On the other hand, probably not

• Old Gator - Mar 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

By commenting here on Circling the Bases, you inherit the advantage of having a built-in Sanskrit grammar and usage guide to consult. So go ahead. Try it. Too bad we can’t supply you with a Devanagri font, though.

• stex52 - Mar 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Another reason to love HBT. Broaden our horizons until it hurts!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5518)