Mar 9, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Astros have made it official:
Breaking: Jim Crane announced today Astros will wear authentic Colt 45s jersey April 10 & 20. “The fans have spoken”
— Houston Astros (@astros) March 9, 2012
Now, if this sets a precedent in which the Astros listen to the fans speaking, we’re all but assured that their new uniforms next year will have the star-H logo on the caps.
Thursday, 1:34PM: A couple weeks ago we heard that Major League Baseball — in a fit of nanny mania — decided that the the Astros could not put the guns on their throwback Colt .45s uniforms this season.
It was a crazy decision, mostly because it flew in the face of historical accuracy. Also: if you make a decision that even a wimpy pinko lefty like me finds to be silly, you’re off in crazy land.
But now, it seems, sanity has been restored:
#Astros may get pistol back on Colt .45s jersey for flashback days after all. MLB ceded decision back to club, which will announce tomorrow
— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) March 8, 2012
Here’s hoping the Astros do the right thing and put the guns back on. We’re all adults and can handle it. And the kids these days — or any days, really — aren’t so idiotic that they’re going to be sent into violence and delinquency by the sight of Wandy Rodriguez wearing a gun on his shirt.
And besides: no one is going to be watching the Astros this year anyway.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (110)