Mar 9, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Astros have made it official:
Breaking: Jim Crane announced today Astros will wear authentic Colt 45s jersey April 10 & 20. “The fans have spoken”
— Houston Astros (@astros) March 9, 2012
Now, if this sets a precedent in which the Astros listen to the fans speaking, we’re all but assured that their new uniforms next year will have the star-H logo on the caps.
Thursday, 1:34PM: A couple weeks ago we heard that Major League Baseball — in a fit of nanny mania — decided that the the Astros could not put the guns on their throwback Colt .45s uniforms this season.
It was a crazy decision, mostly because it flew in the face of historical accuracy. Also: if you make a decision that even a wimpy pinko lefty like me finds to be silly, you’re off in crazy land.
But now, it seems, sanity has been restored:
#Astros may get pistol back on Colt .45s jersey for flashback days after all. MLB ceded decision back to club, which will announce tomorrow
— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) March 8, 2012
Here’s hoping the Astros do the right thing and put the guns back on. We’re all adults and can handle it. And the kids these days — or any days, really — aren’t so idiotic that they’re going to be sent into violence and delinquency by the sight of Wandy Rodriguez wearing a gun on his shirt.
And besides: no one is going to be watching the Astros this year anyway.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)