Mar 9, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Aside from reporting to camp in “The Best Shape Of His Life” shaving your head for charity might be the biggest trend of spring training this year.
Jose Reyes did it first, live on MLB Network no less, and then Josh Johnson did it with considerably less fanfare. And now Rays manager Joe Maddon is joining the fun in the name of raising money for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation and the Vincent Lecavalier Pediatric Cancer and Blood Disorders Center at All Children’s Hospital.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Maddon will shave his head Thursday and “will encourage other players, coaches and team officials to do so as well.”
Or as Maddon put it: “It’s under the heading, fortune favors the bald.”
Third base coach Tom Foley and bench coach Dave Martinez are already on board, although presumably Martinez’s spectacular mountain-man beard will be staying put.
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)