Mar 9, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Earlier this week Jon Heyman’s ongoing efforts to land Johnny Damon a job led to his reporting that the Orioles “haven’t ruled out” signing him, but yesterday Baltimore executive vice president Dan Duquette laughed and replied “I don’t think so” when asked about the possibility.
That hasn’t stopped Heyman one bit or even slowed him down, as the CBSSports.com reporter showed up to Orioles camp and asked Duquette about Damon in person. And then he tweeted:
Asked orioles gm duquette if damon is possibility. His 1-word answer? “Maybe.” Regarding interest, another o’s person said “not yet”
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 9, 2012
Seems like totally normal behavior for a national baseball writer to engage in, right? Right? (Sort of reminds me of my strategy for asking women on dates. If they say they’re busy for Friday night and Saturday night, then just keep going further on the calendar until you get a non-committal answer.)
On a completely unrelated note, Damon is a Scott Boras client.
UPDATE: It turns out Heyman didn’t like my post about Damon yesterday, as sometime between then and now he blocked me on Twitter.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 0
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 4
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)