Mar 9, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Earlier this week Jon Heyman’s ongoing efforts to land Johnny Damon a job led to his reporting that the Orioles “haven’t ruled out” signing him, but yesterday Baltimore executive vice president Dan Duquette laughed and replied “I don’t think so” when asked about the possibility.
That hasn’t stopped Heyman one bit or even slowed him down, as the CBSSports.com reporter showed up to Orioles camp and asked Duquette about Damon in person. And then he tweeted:
Asked orioles gm duquette if damon is possibility. His 1-word answer? “Maybe.” Regarding interest, another o’s person said “not yet”
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 9, 2012
Seems like totally normal behavior for a national baseball writer to engage in, right? Right? (Sort of reminds me of my strategy for asking women on dates. If they say they’re busy for Friday night and Saturday night, then just keep going further on the calendar until you get a non-committal answer.)
On a completely unrelated note, Damon is a Scott Boras client.
UPDATE: It turns out Heyman didn’t like my post about Damon yesterday, as sometime between then and now he blocked me on Twitter.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 40
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)