Mar 9, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Earlier this week Jon Heyman’s ongoing efforts to land Johnny Damon a job led to his reporting that the Orioles “haven’t ruled out” signing him, but yesterday Baltimore executive vice president Dan Duquette laughed and replied “I don’t think so” when asked about the possibility.
That hasn’t stopped Heyman one bit or even slowed him down, as the CBSSports.com reporter showed up to Orioles camp and asked Duquette about Damon in person. And then he tweeted:
Asked orioles gm duquette if damon is possibility. His 1-word answer? “Maybe.” Regarding interest, another o’s person said “not yet”
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 9, 2012
Seems like totally normal behavior for a national baseball writer to engage in, right? Right? (Sort of reminds me of my strategy for asking women on dates. If they say they’re busy for Friday night and Saturday night, then just keep going further on the calendar until you get a non-committal answer.)
On a completely unrelated note, Damon is a Scott Boras client.
UPDATE: It turns out Heyman didn’t like my post about Damon yesterday, as sometime between then and now he blocked me on Twitter.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 0
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)