Mar 9, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Earlier this week Jon Heyman’s ongoing efforts to land Johnny Damon a job led to his reporting that the Orioles “haven’t ruled out” signing him, but yesterday Baltimore executive vice president Dan Duquette laughed and replied “I don’t think so” when asked about the possibility.
That hasn’t stopped Heyman one bit or even slowed him down, as the CBSSports.com reporter showed up to Orioles camp and asked Duquette about Damon in person. And then he tweeted:
Asked orioles gm duquette if damon is possibility. His 1-word answer? “Maybe.” Regarding interest, another o’s person said “not yet”
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 9, 2012
Seems like totally normal behavior for a national baseball writer to engage in, right? Right? (Sort of reminds me of my strategy for asking women on dates. If they say they’re busy for Friday night and Saturday night, then just keep going further on the calendar until you get a non-committal answer.)
On a completely unrelated note, Damon is a Scott Boras client.
UPDATE: It turns out Heyman didn’t like my post about Damon yesterday, as sometime between then and now he blocked me on Twitter.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)