Jose Valverde is in The Best Shape of His Life

Mar 9, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT

Jose Valverde

Via our friend Nick Collias comes the translation of an interview Tigers closer Jose Valverde gave to Mañana Deportiva on Dominican radio the other day. Valverde has lost weight.  And he has a nice description of Prince Fielder:

“I lost 40 pounds, because I was very obese.”

“I had to undergo that process because I was overweight. I ate healthily, something that a lot of players don’t do since we eat late, without caring what type of food it is. I hired a chef in order to better care for my food. You can even eat five times a day. The quantity doesn’t matter, but rather the quality.”

“After undergoing that diet process, there’s a change in the field, even during these early training days. My energy is much better. I feel more awake in the practices. It’s a overall change that I’ve given my body, in all senses.

About Prince Fielder: “As we say in the Dominican, Fielder is a block. He’s very strong, muscular. For his size and weight, he runs well. He goes after the ball like a man, not like a boy.”

“He goes after the ball like a man, not a boy.”  I like that. I think I’ll use that in the ATH recaps a few dozen times this year.

1. jwbiii - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

To acknowledge his impressive performance, shouldn’t Aaron Gleeman get the BSOHL beat? For at least a while, anyway.

2. rooney24 - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Well, to be fair, if you don’t have to be a baseball player to report on baseball, you don’t need to be in BSOHL to report on BSOHL.

3. dodger88 - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM

As this is spring training, I’m thinking a few ATH posts from Arizona would help get you in blogging shape while whetting our appetites. Play ball!

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I was thinking this earlier this week, but never got into a comments section. If there are exhibtion games, there should be an exhibition ATH…maybe one or two. Especially since the prospects worth a darn are still in big league camp.

• dodger88 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Exhibition ATH – I like it!

Craig can write about the first 2-3 games and then give way to some up and coming bloggers for the rest.

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I like it. Allow me to cast my vote for exhibition ATH.

4. drunkenhooliganism - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

“He goes after the ball like a man, not like a boy.”

His english is still a little rusty. When he said “ball” the word he was really looking for was “large vegetarian pizza and 2 liter milkshake”

5. cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM

“goes after the ball like a man, not like a boy”…meme, right? I’m going to have to start a list so I can keep track, but its our social responsibility to not let that one die. That one’s gold. Top Cheese.

• drunkenhooliganism - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

“I’m a man. I’m 40.” but when there’s a ball on the ground, I just let my son pick it up.

6. bancacentral - Mar 9, 2012 at 1:21 PM

This is the actual quote in spanish: “Le da a la bola como un hombre, no como un jovencito.” , which translate to “He hits the ball like a man not like a young boy”.

Still, great qoute.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5133)