Mar 9, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Via our friend Nick Collias comes the translation of an interview Tigers closer Jose Valverde gave to Mañana Deportiva on Dominican radio the other day. Valverde has lost weight. And he has a nice description of Prince Fielder:
“I lost 40 pounds, because I was very obese.”
“I had to undergo that process because I was overweight. I ate healthily, something that a lot of players don’t do since we eat late, without caring what type of food it is. I hired a chef in order to better care for my food. You can even eat five times a day. The quantity doesn’t matter, but rather the quality.”
“After undergoing that diet process, there’s a change in the field, even during these early training days. My energy is much better. I feel more awake in the practices. It’s a overall change that I’ve given my body, in all senses.
About Prince Fielder: “As we say in the Dominican, Fielder is a block. He’s very strong, muscular. For his size and weight, he runs well. He goes after the ball like a man, not like a boy.”
“He goes after the ball like a man, not a boy.” I like that. I think I’ll use that in the ATH recaps a few dozen times this year.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)