Mar 9, 2012, 8:09 PM EST
When Juan Nicasio suffered a fractured C-1 vertebrae as a result of being struck by a line drive last August, his baseball career was suddenly secondary. However, after making remarkable progress in his rehabilitation over the course of the past few months, it now appears likely that he’ll open the season as a member of the Rockies’ starting rotation.
Nicasio made his first start since the neck injury earlier this afternoon against the Athletics. The 25-year-old right-hander allowed an unearned run on five hits over three innings while striking out two and walking none. Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post notes that he was consistently reaching 93-94 mph on his fastball, so he isn’t missing a beat with his velocity.
The results were nice and all, but it was also encouraging that Nicasio wasn’t fazed by facing live hitters again in a competitive environment. He got tested early on when infielder Eric Sogard, the second batter of the game, hit a line drive right through the box.
Nicasio showed a lot of promise last season prior to the injury, posting a 4.14 ERA and 58/18 K/BB ratio over 71 2/3 innings as a rookie. Let’s hope he can pick up from where he left off.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)