Mike Trout is “feeling weak and feverish with no appetite” and has lost 10 pounds

Mar 9, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT

Mike Trout Getty Images

Last month manager Mike Scioscia indicated that Mike Trout is likely bound for Triple-A, but the 20-year-old outfielder hasn’t even been able to fight for an Opening Day job because of a flu virus.

Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that Trout has lost 10 pounds from “feeling weak and feverish with no appetite.”

Scioscia told Plunkett that it will be “a number of days yet” until Trout potentially sees game action, which may all but rule out the already slim possibility of him beginning the season in the majors.

1. l0yalr0yal - Mar 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I bought MLB 2k12 on Tuesday when it came out. I started a franchise with the Royals (duh). They open the season against the angels, and Mike Trout was actually hitting in the five spot. Between Aaron Crow, Danny Duffy, and Jonathan Sanchez, he totaled zero hits in 13 series at bats.

Clearly, he isn’t ready for the majors.

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

You got HochoCinco out of your top 3 spots? Good Man.

• l0yalr0yal - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Hocho got dumped along with blake wood for some Rookie 2B out of San Diego (I forget his name). It is impossible to play defense with Giovotella at second. I mean, literally, impossible. The window you have to throw after fielding a soft grounder is like a sliver, and it is absolutely unreal to hit it. I was overthrowing Hosmer nearly every time and giving up infield singles. They actually have Crow as an 81 in this game, and Sanchez as an 80. Bruce Chen, which I kept because no one wanted to trade for him, is a 73. I think Duff is a 78 overall, so it’s been pretty tough.

• El Bravo - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM

You shoulda bought Mass Effect 3…no offense to the baseball gods….but holy shit that game is amazing…esp with Kinect on Xbox. I literally sit and talk to my TV every night now, which is no different from usual, but this time, it listens.

• l0yalr0yal - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Dude I keep hearing great things about it. My friends make it out to be maybe the greatest game they’ve ever played. Clearly, they’ve never played Maniac Mansion on the NES. I got hooked on MW3, to the point that I was playing it almost every extra moment I had. I was up somewhere in the 4,400’s worldwide. I had to get rid of it because I stopped eating, showering, I just started peeing my pants, wouldn’t take my dog out so he peed on me, I missed nine days of work consecutively… Just kidding.

But, with MLB 2k12, I can comfortably find time to play one game per night, wherever I can fit it in, so it’s kind of nice.

• El Bravo - Mar 9, 2012 at 5:00 PM

It is fantastic. I’m only about 8 hours in and I feel like I JUST got started…it’s just an overall great game. It’s not necessarily exceptional at any one thing (storyline is exceptional though in my opinion), but there isn’t one thing bad about it so far. I use the Kinect for telling Netlfix to go to the next episode, but otherwise not at all. But with ME3, I can set the controller down in heavy dialogue areas and talk to the TV and pee at the same time.

I hear The Show is the game of games when it comes to baseball, but alas, I’m without a PS3. I’m not huge on the sports games, but obviously I enjoy baseball enough, so I do occasionally mess with those type of games.

Believe it or not, I haven’t played MW3 yet. It’s on my mental queue…but with ME3, it’ll have ot wait awhile.

2. chiadam - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

It must be going around, because the Cubs offense is also weak and feverish. Ba-zing.

• El Bravo - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Well, they’re healthier than last year b/c they paid one flu virus to play in Miami. The other virus has been located (LF), but it’s been difficult to destroy.

3. westcoastredbird - Mar 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Although I live 10 minutes from Angel stadium and not even remotely an Angel fan. I would however like to see Mike Trout be successful. If I were the team doctor I would get him checked for valley fever. It has the symptoms described and is found in the western United States.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3573)