Rangers won’t show clip of Nolan Ryan beating up Robin Ventura when White Sox are in town

Mar 9, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Image (2) nolan_ryan_robin_ventura_large_large.jpg for post 2718

Robin Ventura is the White Sox’s manager now and not just an underrated former All-Star third baseman who once got put in a headlock and punched by Nolan Ryan, so the Rangers have decided to change their usual routine in the name of showing him more respect.

Instead of regularly playing the 1993 clip of Ventura charging the mound and getting beaten up by a 46-year-old Ryan–which they’ve shown on the ballpark jumbotron before nearly every game–the Rangers will not show the video during their opening-weekend series against the White Sox.

In fact, according to Rangers senior vice president for ballpark entertainment Chuck Morgan they may stop showing it altogether:

We may show it on the day it happened as part of the 40th anniversary moments, but that’s probably it. I just thought this offseason that we didn’t need to be showing that anymore. I watched how St. Louis treated Stan the Man during the playoffs and that’s how we should treat Nolan as the face of the franchise. We’ll celebrate his no-hitters and other moments.

I also don’t think it’s right for us on our Opening Day to show a fight, and then that whole weekend we’re going to treat Robin Ventura with respect. He’s the manager of the White Sox. We don’t need to do anything like that.

Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that Ryan agreed with no longer showing the footage being a good idea, but didn’t force Morgan to make the change. And as you can see by the accompanying graphic, Ryan has previously been just fine with autographing pictures of him punching Ventura in the head.

1. doghousejohnny - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM

They should show this one instead.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM

• raindog - Mar 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM

What? It took an entire crowd to take him Nolan down.

• doghousejohnny - Mar 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Please allow me to introduce you to sarcasm.

• raindog - Mar 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Aye. That’s embarrassing.

The sad thing is that the guy who made that video definitely wasn’t joking.

• pauleee - Mar 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Really!?? All I have to say about that is F* Robin Ventura, F* the White Sox and F* the blogger who put that together.

And F* AC-DC while I’m at it.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Where can I buy one of your t-shirts?

2. cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Sweet Jesus Montero, man, are they out of their collective minds there in Texas? First they waffle like Belgian breakfast pastry over a stupid gun logo, now they’re editing out a classic beatdown by their Head Honcho, put upon the skipper of the visiting team? What’s next? No more cheering from the stands because it’ll hurt the other team’s feelings? I thought Texans owned guns, hunted, killed stuff, tamed Wests, broke horses, ate tumbleweeds, shot it out at high noon, threw people they didn’t like through barroom windows, etc? This is the dumbest thing ever in the history of dumb things. If they wanted to do something to make Ventrua feel better, then show the still shots of him wrestling Ryan to the ground after the headlock, and getting a few of his own in before he’s dragged off. The crowd would go WILD and a rivalry would be born, on the spot.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Aw, shucks, it was only a Nolan beatin’ up on a Robin. Tougher things happen in Pittsburgh!

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I sure hope Sue Ellen (née stex52) knows of this…given his state’s rather alarming anti symbolic violence stance, he might very well have been shielded from this awesome set of lyrics.

• El Bravo - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM

REMATCH!!!!!!

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM

If you’ve ever driven “Texas-friendly” you know how batshit crazy everyone really is.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

It’s called “respect for another human being”.

See how I put it in quotation marks, to make it stand out.

That’s for the commenters here who have none.

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Its called holier than thou. See how I didn’t put that in quotes? And thanks for telling me how to think. Really ‘preciate it.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I didn’t tell you how to think. I answered your question.

That was why you used a question mark, wasn’t it? See how that works?

If you don’t want someone to answer a question you ask, you need to state that it’s a rhetorical question.

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Parse it how you like, it amounts to the same thing, but I do not expect that you’ll see how that works. Since I have limited capacity for conversing with idiots, I’m done with this. Have a nice life.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Must make your alone time difficult.

3. channingtaintum - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM

That framed photo would be twice as nice if Robin would sign it, too.

4. rob0527 - Mar 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Come on can’t anyone take a joke. That happened so long ago, I think it would be pretty funny.

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I wonder how Ryan & Ventura feel about this? I imagine its a bit like when me and the guy I used to get into fights with when we were in Jr. High meet up: we sit around and have a few drinks. Laugh about when we were young and getting into a fight was something you just did. As opposed to these days, when getting into a fight is something that reminds us that we’re not young men anymore, and going around with a shiner, cracked ribs, and busted up hands is a huge PIA as opposed to badges of honour.

5. phatnate - Mar 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM

What is the Rangers organization doing playing a 19 year old video of their owner pounding away on some guys head on the jumbotron before every game? I am sure it is not good for all the children in attendence to see their role model throwing hay makers at some guys head. Seriously?? at every game this video plays?? I know it’s the state of Texas and all that, but really?? It’s nothing to be THAT proud of. And if I was Nolan Ryan, I don’t think that is the thing I want to be most remembered for.

• opshuns - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Its that cowboy thing…

6. opshuns - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM

We will see who is laughing after Ryan puts the Rangers so far in debt that they won’t be competitive. They have been beat the last two years by a team with no offense and a wildcard team. Just love that texas dreaming, nolan?

• Kevin S. - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Maybe you missed the part where the Rangers get $150 million per year from their TV deal. They ain’t headin’ back to bankruptcy anytime soon.

7. jimeejohnson - Mar 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Nolan’s club has been in the past two World Series. That speaks for itself unless you are dreaming!

8. txnative61 - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:31 AM

As a pitcher, Nolan was old-school. He frequently pitched em high and tight and tried to own the inside of the plate. When Ventura charged the mound, it wasn’t his first rodeo. As an owner he doesn’t brook whining about the heat, or the hitters park, or anything else, but he’s too much of a gentleman to continue insulting Ventura to no good end.

9. metroplexfrog - Mar 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM

The Rangers are in good condition and will remain so. The organization is strong and the team will be very good.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5541)