Scenes from Spring Training: Randomness at Brewers camp

Mar 9, 2012, 4:30 PM EST

Yount Gamel

I mentioned earlier that I’m in an impossibly good mood today. The park has a lot to do with it. Great weather of course. Just woke up on the right side of the bed somehow.

And when I’m in a good mood I like to walk around and take pictures of stuff. Yes, I realize that my job is very hard. Sorry to keep reminding you all of that.

Stuff like this scene to the right. Robin Yount instructing Mat Gamel on the finer points of infield defense. It must have worked, because Gamel put on a defensive clinic at first in the third inning of today’s game. He saved Brooks Conrad‘s bacon with a nifty jump-tag when Conrad threw wide of first on a grounder. The next batter hit a hot shot to first which Gamel gobbled up and most guys wouldn’t have.  Now all he needs to do is to find Yount a hat that fits him and his day will have been perfection.

Other stuff I saw while bopping around Maryvale before today’s game:

source:

I wrote this morning about how close I came to getting a baseball.  If I thought about it — and didn’t mind getting my butt kicked out of the park — I could have gotten a lot of baseballs here.

source:

This guy was fun. Wearing a Prince Fielder Tigers jersey at the Brewers ballpark. And you all say I’m a troll. This guy is the troll king. I should look into hiring him.

source:

“Dudes, wait … listen … what if the universe is just, like, a particle of some larger atom.”

source:

“I know, Frankie De La Cruz … I blew your mind just now. I’m sorry. Here, we can hug the confusion away.”

source:

Four parks so far this week, four pics of equipment bags on grass. I have two more to go this weekend for the perfecto. I like my chances.

source:

This was pretty neat. The entire team — and manager Ron Roenicke — was there and watching attentively as others did base running drills. You don’t see that very often. Usually teams break up into a bunch of different groups when those kinds of drills are going down. No idea if this is a usual thing or if it was just random happenstance.

I’m watching the game now. Best things besides those Gamel plays so far: (1) Dan Wheeler retiring Zelous Wheeler on a 6-3 grounder; and (2) Ryan Braun walking.

AGAIN.  God, that guy.

1. cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM

“Zelous Wheeler”, best name in baseball right now, ¿si or no?

• dlindstedt2 - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Si Motherf***er… Yeah that is right, Troll returned.

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Didn’t know you’d left. Welcome back.

• dlindstedt2 - Mar 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Not so much that I was a troll, but I trolled him back…

2. El Bravo - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Axford blew my f@cking mind, mannnnn

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Second Canadian Craig’s made mention of giving him a laugh. Glad to see my people still got it.

• El Bravo - Mar 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM

That’s a positive stereotype that I think has some definite shreds of truth to it. A lot of those funny folks from up there have made their way through the imfamous Second City comedy club here in Chi-City. You guys got jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes!

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Its the steady diet of seal blubber. You either learn to laugh or cry, and when you cry its pure seal grease. No one likes that.

3. natstowngreg - Mar 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

[gratuitous Bull Durham reference follows]

In the Majors, they use white baseballs in batting practice.

[end of gratuitous Bull Durham reference]

• cur68 - Mar 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I regret that there is but one thumb up I can give this, but, since I rarely bother with them, perhaps the novelty value alone will be noteworthy….

4. hodaghunter - Mar 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I’m pretty sure that is NOT Robin Yount in the first picture at the top but manager Ron Roenicke

5. hodaghunter - Mar 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Oops my bad… its him sorry

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Yup: this was the pic I took immediately before:

• shzastl - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Craig, why no coverage of Braun’s latest excuse? The “real story,” which he “highly doubts” will ever come out. Sounds like OJ’s search for “the real killer”…

6. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Brew crew rules!

7. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

What happened to the mural picture? Or was that on a different blog?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6361)