Mar 9, 2012, 7:08 PM EST
After arriving in Arizona last weekend and showcasing his power potential during simulated games this week, the highly-touted Yoenis Cespedes is finally ready to make his Athletics’ debut.
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, Cespedes is scheduled to start in center field and bat second tomorrow afternoon against the Reds. And Craig will be there to see it. Pretty sweet deal. Let us know if he uses Christopher Cross’ “Sailing” as his at-bat music, okay?
Cespedes surprised many around the game by agreeing to a four-year, $36 million deal with Oakland in mid-February. Athletics general manager Billy Beane hedged his bets a few days ago when asked whether the 26-year-old will be on the Opening Day roster, but most expect he’ll be given every opportunity to win the starting center field job.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (109)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)