Mar 9, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT
After arriving in Arizona last weekend and showcasing his power potential during simulated games this week, the highly-touted Yoenis Cespedes is finally ready to make his Athletics’ debut.
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, Cespedes is scheduled to start in center field and bat second tomorrow afternoon against the Reds. And Craig will be there to see it. Pretty sweet deal. Let us know if he uses Christopher Cross’ “Sailing” as his at-bat music, okay?
Cespedes surprised many around the game by agreeing to a four-year, $36 million deal with Oakland in mid-February. Athletics general manager Billy Beane hedged his bets a few days ago when asked whether the 26-year-old will be on the Opening Day roster, but most expect he’ll be given every opportunity to win the starting center field job.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)