Mar 9, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT
After arriving in Arizona last weekend and showcasing his power potential during simulated games this week, the highly-touted Yoenis Cespedes is finally ready to make his Athletics’ debut.
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, Cespedes is scheduled to start in center field and bat second tomorrow afternoon against the Reds. And Craig will be there to see it. Pretty sweet deal. Let us know if he uses Christopher Cross’ “Sailing” as his at-bat music, okay?
Cespedes surprised many around the game by agreeing to a four-year, $36 million deal with Oakland in mid-February. Athletics general manager Billy Beane hedged his bets a few days ago when asked whether the 26-year-old will be on the Opening Day roster, but most expect he’ll be given every opportunity to win the starting center field job.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)