A.J. Burnett making speedy recovery from eye fracture

Mar 10, 2012, 8:51 PM EDT

burnett ap AP

When A.J. Burnett underwent eye surgery in early March after fracturing his orbital bone during a bunting drill, the Pirates’ doctors guessed that he would be sidelined for 8-12 weeks. But recent reports out of Bradenton, Florida have us thinking the right-hander might beat that timetable altogether.

According to MLB.com’s Tom Singer, Burnett rode a stationary bike and played a light game of catch Saturday in Pirates camp. It was his first workout since the procedure, and he came out of it feeling fine. Originally, the Bucs didn’t think he would be ready for those sort of activities for at least another week.

“Everything went well. I’m happy to be back down here with the guys,” an optimistic Burnett told reporters on Saturday afternoon. “I just got through a pretty good bike routine, so I’ve got some catching up to do. And I worked out a little bit, played some catch. We’ll take it day to day. But, as of right now, it feels good.”

The Pirates acquired Burnett from the Yankees back in mid-February for a couple of minor leaguers and cash considerations. He should be an active member of the Pittsburgh starting rotation by early May.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM

From THIS Yankees fan, here’s wishing AJ a speedy and successful recovery. Not the way one should start a new chapter.

2. rip4gehrig - Mar 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I agree Jason……Curiosity question, Do they call it a “surgery” everytime a procedure is done for a broken bone?

3. aceshigh11 - Mar 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Don’t ask me why, but I’m actually rooting for the guy to succeed.

I suppose being banished to the Pittsburgh organization is punishment enough…hopefully he can regain some of his earlier magic and get some peace of mind.

• pisano - Mar 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

aces… I agree totally, for whatever reason he just couldn’t get on track, but in his defense it was not for lack of trying or lack of heart. The one thing I respect him for is he took the heat and never shied away from the brutal press in N.Y. I hope he does well in his new start with the Pirates.

• florida76 - Mar 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Wow, the “banished to the Pittsburgh organization is punishment enough” is right out of 2010. This is 2012, and the Bucs just signed one of the talented young players in the game to a long term contract! Pittsburgh’s on the verge of turning things around, plus they play in a gorgeous ballpark. I’m sure Burnett is recharged for a fresh start, after leaving the circus in New York.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Okay, that was admittedly a cheap shot, and I don’t follow the Pirates organization very closely…

…but even if I concede that everything you say is true, they still have a lot to prove, would you not agree?

Three legends off to Cooperstown