Mar 10, 2012, 8:56 AM EST
We heard way back in December that the Mets were open to bringing back right-hander Chris Young on a minor league deal and now it appears as though a reunion could be right around the corner.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News was told by a source that Young has narrowed his choices to the Mets or Padres and is “more inclined” to return to New York.
“It will happen,” the person said, predicting that Young will return to the New York.
The Mets need starting pitching depth in the worst way right now, but Young is no sure thing to contribute anytime soon. He is currently working his way back from May 2010 surgery to repair the anterior capsule muscle in his right shoulder. Current Mets’ starter Johan Santana underwent the same procedure in September of 2010 and missed the entire 2011 season. Young told ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick in January that he hopes to be pitching again by April.
Young, who turns 34 in May, posted a 1.88 ERA and 21/11 K/BB ratio over four starts with New York last season prior to the surgery. He has been limited to just 22 starts over the past three seasons due to shoulder woes.
UPDATE: Andy Martino notes on Twitter that a deal is “not imminent.”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)