Mar 10, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
We heard on Monday that David Wright wouldn’t make his Grapefruit League debut this week due to stiffness in the left side of his rib cage. The Mets continue to express confidence that the 29-year-old third baseman is making progress, but he won’t be playing in a game anytime soon.
According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, Mets manager Terry Collins said this afternoon that Wright won’t play until next weekend at the earliest and is scheduled to see a doctor Monday. His doctor visit was previously scheduled, so there’s no indication that he has suffered any sort of setback.
Wright has maintained that he would be in the lineup if this was the regular season, so he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt for now, but this obviously isn’t what he had in mind after being limited to just 102 games last season due to a stress fracture in his lower back.
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 42
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 30
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 44
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 25
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)