Mar 10, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
We’ve heard nothing but good things about Kendrys Morales so far this spring. That’s quite a contrast from this time last year, which Craig can vouch for first-hand. And while Morales has yet to make his Cactus League debut, he’s certainly moving in the right direction.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Morales hopes to get into games during the week of March 18. He also notes that the 28-year-old hasn’t reported any soreness, swelling or pain in his surgically-repaired ankle.
Morales hasn’t played in a professional game since fracturing his lower left leg while jumping onto home plate following a game-winning grand slam on May 29, 2010. The 28-year-old switch-hitter owns a .284/.336/.502 batting line and an .838 OPS in the majors, so he could provide a major boost to the middle of the Angels’ lineup if he can return to form.
While we’re on the subject of Angels’ players who are rehabbing from injury, Mark Trumbo is slated to start at third base and bat cleanup this afternoon against the Giants. He played a couple innings at the hot corner on Wednesday, but these will be his first at-bats in a major league game since being shut down with a stress fracture in his right foot last September.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)