Mar 10, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
Remember the panic over Michael Pineda’s velocity — or lack thereof — after he sat between 88-91 mph with his fastball during his Grapefruit League debut Monday against the Phillies? He’s still nowhere near his average of 94.7 mph from last season, but he did make some progress this afternoon against the Braves.
Pineda as high as 93 mph in 1st inning. Peaked at 91 in 1st ST start Mon against Phillies. That's for my fellow propagandist @JackCurryYES—
Erik Boland (@eboland11) March 10, 2012
Pineda 's highest MPHs today, a 93-MPH fastball to McCann that he drilled for an out and a ball-four to Chipper.—
Andrew Marchand (@AndrewMarchand) March 10, 2012
Scoreboard has Michael Pineda's fastball velocity between 89-93 today. Bad news is, he's given up three hard-hit balls, a run and a walk.—
Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) March 10, 2012
While Pineda threw a bit harder this afternoon, the results weren’t so great. The 23-year-old right-hander tossed 2 2/3 innings while allowing one run on four hits. He struck out one, walked three and threw a wild pitch.
UPDATE: Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com that he had Pineda as high as 94 mph. This whole velocity situation will probably be a non-issue before long.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)