Mar 10, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
Remember the panic over Michael Pineda’s velocity — or lack thereof — after he sat between 88-91 mph with his fastball during his Grapefruit League debut Monday against the Phillies? He’s still nowhere near his average of 94.7 mph from last season, but he did make some progress this afternoon against the Braves.
Pineda as high as 93 mph in 1st inning. Peaked at 91 in 1st ST start Mon against Phillies. That's for my fellow propagandist @JackCurryYES—
Erik Boland (@eboland11) March 10, 2012
Pineda 's highest MPHs today, a 93-MPH fastball to McCann that he drilled for an out and a ball-four to Chipper.—
Andrew Marchand (@AndrewMarchand) March 10, 2012
Scoreboard has Michael Pineda's fastball velocity between 89-93 today. Bad news is, he's given up three hard-hit balls, a run and a walk.—
Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) March 10, 2012
While Pineda threw a bit harder this afternoon, the results weren’t so great. The 23-year-old right-hander tossed 2 2/3 innings while allowing one run on four hits. He struck out one, walked three and threw a wild pitch.
UPDATE: Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com that he had Pineda as high as 94 mph. This whole velocity situation will probably be a non-issue before long.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)