Mar 10, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
Remember the panic over Michael Pineda’s velocity — or lack thereof — after he sat between 88-91 mph with his fastball during his Grapefruit League debut Monday against the Phillies? He’s still nowhere near his average of 94.7 mph from last season, but he did make some progress this afternoon against the Braves.
Pineda as high as 93 mph in 1st inning. Peaked at 91 in 1st ST start Mon against Phillies. That's for my fellow propagandist @JackCurryYES—
Erik Boland (@eboland11) March 10, 2012
Pineda 's highest MPHs today, a 93-MPH fastball to McCann that he drilled for an out and a ball-four to Chipper.—
Andrew Marchand (@AndrewMarchand) March 10, 2012
Scoreboard has Michael Pineda's fastball velocity between 89-93 today. Bad news is, he's given up three hard-hit balls, a run and a walk.—
Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) March 10, 2012
While Pineda threw a bit harder this afternoon, the results weren’t so great. The 23-year-old right-hander tossed 2 2/3 innings while allowing one run on four hits. He struck out one, walked three and threw a wild pitch.
UPDATE: Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com that he had Pineda as high as 94 mph. This whole velocity situation will probably be a non-issue before long.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)