Mar 10, 2012, 3:09 PM EST
Remember the panic over Michael Pineda’s velocity — or lack thereof — after he sat between 88-91 mph with his fastball during his Grapefruit League debut Monday against the Phillies? He’s still nowhere near his average of 94.7 mph from last season, but he did make some progress this afternoon against the Braves.
Pineda as high as 93 mph in 1st inning. Peaked at 91 in 1st ST start Mon against Phillies. That's for my fellow propagandist @JackCurryYES—
Erik Boland (@eboland11) March 10, 2012
Pineda 's highest MPHs today, a 93-MPH fastball to McCann that he drilled for an out and a ball-four to Chipper.—
Andrew Marchand (@AndrewMarchand) March 10, 2012
Scoreboard has Michael Pineda's fastball velocity between 89-93 today. Bad news is, he's given up three hard-hit balls, a run and a walk.—
Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) March 10, 2012
While Pineda threw a bit harder this afternoon, the results weren’t so great. The 23-year-old right-hander tossed 2 2/3 innings while allowing one run on four hits. He struck out one, walked three and threw a wild pitch.
UPDATE: Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com that he had Pineda as high as 94 mph. This whole velocity situation will probably be a non-issue before long.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 14
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (154)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)