Mar 10, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
Remember the panic over Michael Pineda’s velocity — or lack thereof — after he sat between 88-91 mph with his fastball during his Grapefruit League debut Monday against the Phillies? He’s still nowhere near his average of 94.7 mph from last season, but he did make some progress this afternoon against the Braves.
Pineda as high as 93 mph in 1st inning. Peaked at 91 in 1st ST start Mon against Phillies. That's for my fellow propagandist @JackCurryYES—
Erik Boland (@eboland11) March 10, 2012
Pineda 's highest MPHs today, a 93-MPH fastball to McCann that he drilled for an out and a ball-four to Chipper.—
Andrew Marchand (@AndrewMarchand) March 10, 2012
Scoreboard has Michael Pineda's fastball velocity between 89-93 today. Bad news is, he's given up three hard-hit balls, a run and a walk.—
Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) March 10, 2012
While Pineda threw a bit harder this afternoon, the results weren’t so great. The 23-year-old right-hander tossed 2 2/3 innings while allowing one run on four hits. He struck out one, walked three and threw a wild pitch.
UPDATE: Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com that he had Pineda as high as 94 mph. This whole velocity situation will probably be a non-issue before long.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)