Mike Matheny “not real happy” with Marlins and MLBPA

Mar 10, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT

matheny ap Getty Images

The Cardinals and Marlins had their Grapefruit League game in Jupiter, Florida halted on Saturday by a one-hour, 49-minute rain delay.

During that delay the Fish got a little business done, holding a required MLB Players’ Association meeting in their clubhouse. These 30-minute meetings are held every year with every team, right around this time of the spring. The Cardinals, in fact, had theirs between 8:30-9:00 a.m. on Saturday morning.

But new St. Louis skipper Mike Matheny is upset that his players had to sit around in the afternoon while the Marlins shifted their focus elsewhere and even indicated to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch that he thought the rain delay could have been shorter.

“I wasn’t real happy,” Matheny said. “We couldn’t get people to make decisions. We weren’t the home team there, and the home team was inside a meeting with Major League Baseball front office. So we were left to wait. The field does drain well, and it did turn out to be beautiful there at the end. It seemed like a completely different day. But in the meanwhile, I wasn’t happy. We have some pretty valuable players out there and we have some people in the bullpen just sitting still for a long time. None of that is a good situation.

Meetings are supposed to be after the game.”

During Tony La Russa’s tenure, the Cards were known for making a fuss about trivial things (remember the complaint about the ribbon board at Miller Park?). Matheny might have a legitimate reason to be upset with what went on Saturday, but detractors will probably suggest that he’s only carrying on the Wrath of Tony.

1. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Are you kidding me? This dude has had one to many concussions because he is channeling his former drunken monkey of a manager. TLR just bought a round for the house hearing this story.

• Old Gator - Mar 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I think Mike Matheny is just unhappy in general. He hasn’t got Pujols in his lineup anymore. His best pitcher just went down with whiplash. He has a horrible yeast infection that makes his croissant taste like pie. Or cake. Or whatever. The touch of his lips turns Gatorade into urine samples. He hasn’t played a winner in months, and horses go down on their fetlocks to pray that he won’t bet on them. And his dendrites are so badly inflamed that merely touching road strange causes a burning sensation like getting paint remover in an open cut. He’s just lucky that he actually had something to complain about.

2. crookedstick - Mar 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Good to see the Cardinals aren’t missing a beat in the whiny little bitch department!

3. paperlions - Mar 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Happy or not, there is just no reason to make this type of complaint public. None. Bitch in private to the powers that be…and then smile for the cameras and talk about baseball.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 12, 2012 at 4:08 AM

The union takes everything public whenever it has a complaint. Why shouldn’t the teams get the same privilege against the union?

Oh, I forgot. This is the pro-union blog. All union, all the time. They can do no wrong, so everyone else must be.

• paperlions - Mar 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM

That is one of the dumbest posts in HBT history. Congrats.

Everyone works for a living should be pro union unless you really want a return to there being no middle class and workers having no rights or benefits whatsoever.

….and you don’t know that MLBPA takes every complaint public, you only know about the public complaints…in all likelihood there are a lot of complaints that never go public. In contrast to MLB, the union doesn’t appear to leak information like a sieve.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Idiot: Most certainly NOT a dumb post. In fact…you are dead on. As someone who has worked in both union and non-union capacities I feel unions have a tendency to protect lazy employess. They also can lend themselves to additional productivity lapses in that they form a bond, pack and/or comraderie (sp?) with 1st shift, 2nd shift and 3rd shift employees not wanting to “one up” each other and therefore hold to that standard line of “just enough.” Moreso than a “pro-union” blog…this is a “warm and fuzzy” party backing bleeding heart blog. To that end…don’t ever say anything bad about Barry.
        If you do you will be labled a racist.

4. burnsy - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM

It ain’t baseball season until people are complaining about the Cardinals complaining.

5. tuftsb - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The Cardinals are the only franchise deeply associated with both beer and whine.

6. estecklerlhs - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Pardon me, but the Cardinals organization is one of the most storied franchises in the history of sports. Its executives and fans are some of the best in the business and, living in St. Louis, I have directly experienced the whole-hearted dedication that the Cardinals have to their fans and upholding all the right virtues in America’s Pastime.

• Ben - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Can’t tell if sarcasm or just saccharine

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

So being around a long time gives them the right to complain about trivial things? Riiiiiiight.

• glennsyank13 - Mar 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Virtues like drunk driving?

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM

estecklerhs: Go easy with it. While well documented…those accolades result in a lot contempt.
      As I have said…success breeds jealousy.

7. metalhead65 - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM

nice to see some things never change,is there nothing they will not complain about? a rain delay in a spring training game and they are whining because the other team is not wasting time like they are? tell me again where Brandon Phillips was wrong when he called called them what they are? WHINEY BITCHES!

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Plastichead. As the ring leader in the whoa’s me “my glass is always half empty” whiney ass Reds brigade…I say to you….Pot/Kettle. Don’t throw stones.
      Otherwise, your windows are gonna’ get blown out.

• metalhead65 - Mar 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

show me where the reds whine about everything? you guys win you whine,you lose you whine. I as a fan may not be happy with everything my team does but my team does not moan and groan over ever little detail after a game. and I have must have missed the part where they whined about a meeting during a rain delay. spring training for god sakes! how long before they blame carpenter’s neck on the reds or another team?

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I am not referring to the Reds whinning. I am referring to YOU endlessly whinning, bemoaning and otherwise lamenting every single move by the Organization. Please know I was born and raised in the middle of Reds/Cubs Country. All of my buddies are Reds fans (with the exception of a few poor souls who are Cubs fans). We are all baseball…all the time. And none of them bitch and whine much as you do about the Reds or Dusty Baker. I have come to actually look forward to your posts as I find him in the whoa’s me attitude.
      Including all the whinning and bitching you do about the Cardinals. Pot/Kettle.

• okwhitefalcon - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Meathead, you’re hatred for the Cards seems to outweigh your love of the Reds.

What a sad fan existence you live.

Let it go…let it go..

• metalhead65 - Mar 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I actualy have a great existence thank you. I hate my teams arch rivals and that is wrong? they whine and cry about every detail no matter how minor and yet there is something wrong with me pointing it out? please name one thing I pointed out that was wrong? or better yet show me another team that cries like they do.

• okwhitefalcon - Mar 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

You hate the Cards more than you like the Reds, that’s what’s sad.

ARCH rivals?

In pun only from the STL side.

The Reds have only been on the Cards radar one year since they began sharing a division and that proved to be only a 3 game extention of the Reds season.

Simply put, one hit wonders don’t make for lasting rivalries, give us a call when your team can string a couple of playoff runs together – or finishes above .500 consistently for that matter.

8. estecklerlhs - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I hate to say but I think that one should definitely look at the “beloved” Yankees and Red Sox before you point fingers at the Cards. Beer and video games in the clubhouse? Eternal “we’re better than every other team in baseball every day of the week because we just are”-ness? Really?

9. jwbiii - Mar 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I recommend a smoked gouda on a soda cracker to go with your whine.

10. johnnyb1976 - Mar 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

The Cards front office must hold auditions American Idol style for crybabies when they look for a manager

11. estecklerlhs - Mar 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I hate to break it to you but Jenifer Langosch had to have asked Matheny a question about his thoughts on the rain delay. He wasn’t going to push it aside and say that everything was justified. He’s an honest man.

12. phillyphreak - Mar 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Let’s say it realll slow. Spprriinggg ttttraaaiinnnning. Relax dude….

13. estecklerlhs - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Haha nice Philly, but that was going to be my next point. Does any of it really matter? Nope.

14. okwhitefalcon - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Uh, hold off on the Matheny bashing for a second – seems as though these meetings are normally 90 minutes, not 30 as mentioned above – not exactly the smartest move on the MLBPA to start a meeting with a specific length during a rain delay with a window to resume.

For those too lazy to click on the link and read the article, here’s the gist of it:

“The Marlins were scheduled to hold their MLB Players’ Association meeting after the game. This is a meeting that every team has every spring — the Cardinals actually had it from 8-9:30 am this morning. Since the Marlins and Cardinals share a facility, I’m guessing the MLBPA saw this as a great opportunity to take care of two meetings in one day, so therefore scheduled Miami’s session for the afternoon.

Only problem was that once the Marlins decided to begin the meeting during the delay, no one from the umpiring crew was able to get any feedback from the Marlins about whether or not to cancel the game. So the umpires and the Cardinals (almost all of whom remained in the dugout) waited… and waited… and waited. By the time the Marlins emerged from their meeting (which typically takes about 90 minutes), the rain had mostly stopped and a decision was made to resume.”

15. estecklerlhs - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Oh look, Matheny has a right to be pissed. Thanks okwhitefalcon

16. jason1214 - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Gosh this would be great story….if any of it would have an actual effect on REGULAR season games.

17. okwhitefalcon - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM

It’s hardly a big deal in the grand scheme of things either way but give Matheny credit for calling horseshit on a boneheaded move – spring training or not.

18. paperlions - Mar 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I love that people are bitching about someone bitching. Complaining about trivial crap is one of the basic human rights….and I bet every single person that has clicked on the link to this story has bitched about at least one trivial thing today (probably far more than that) but no one published their complaint online.

19. sawxalicious - Mar 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM

1st World problems…..

20. wizzrdofaz - Mar 11, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Am I correct in assuming they MUST be a union member to play professional baseball and they MUST pay union dues, whether they want to or not?

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM

You are not correct. A player does not have to be a member of the union.

In fact, the union (the bastion of player’s rights) denies membership to any player who crossed the line during any kind of work stoppage. Yup, there they are, fighting for the rights of the oppressed working by claiming someone doesn’t have the right to do so. As well as piling abuse and scorn on them in a very public manner.

As non-union members, ballplayers are denied most of the benefits that the union has gotten by striking and getting World Series cancelled. They don’t get profits from player-related merchandising, they don’t get all of the insurance and medical benefits, the pension plans are different, and in the case of the Marlins meeting, a non-union member is denied the right to be in the clubhouse while a meeting is going on. It’s the players clubhouse, but only if you’re a member of the union.

Yup, there they go again, treating the non-union players so well and fighting the rights of the ballplayer. Except for the ones who just want to play ball.

21. dcbear90 - Mar 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM

That’s World Series Champion whiny bitches.

• glennsyank13 - Mar 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Actually the only reason for winning anything left town for Anaheim.

• burnsy - Mar 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM

David Freese is still in St. Louis.

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

…adn they still have Adam Wainwright and Chris Carpenter…maybe

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Hahaha! Riiiiight.

22. spudchukar - Mar 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Envy is such an ugly emotion. Me I prefer to look out to centerfield and see that WS championship flag waving and smile.

• paperlions - Mar 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Yeah, my favorite is 1982. Willie McGee, hittin’ homers and takin’ them away.

• stex52 - Mar 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Frankly, I just chalk this up to too much press coverage. Someone asked Matheny a question and he answered it. We’re all getting a little overheated here.

23. spudchukar - Mar 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Generally these meeting take about 90 minutes. However, if Ozzie is involved one might expect things to run somewhat longer.

24. lcdcac - Mar 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Wah I’m a baby who complains about spring training rain delays. Wah.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet