Mar 10, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Brewers’ manager Ron Roenicke said this afternoon that Marcum is expected to throw a bullpen session tomorrow or Monday.
Marcum dealt with a similar shoulder issue last spring, but managed to start the season on time and posted an excellent 2.21 ERA and 34/11 K/BB ratio over six April starts. Roenicke admits that Marcum will be cutting it close again this spring, but he hasn’t ruled him out for the start of the season.
“I talked to him this morning, and he thought, timing-wise, he is actually ahead of where he was last year,” Roenicke said. “Last year, it was close. We didn’t know if he was going to be ready at the beginning [of the season] or not. I think he’ll probably be in the same boat this year.”
The current plan calls for Marcum to start the fourth game of the season on April 9 against the Cubs. If he doesn’t get fully stretched out in time, right-hander Marco Estrada would likely take his place for the first turn through the starting rotation.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)