Mar 11, 2012, 6:38 PM EST
22-year-old Brett Lawrie did it again Sunday, going 3-for-3 against the Braves to raise his average to .579.
Toronto’s third baseman is 11-for-19 and has already collected five doubles this spring.
Lawrie was one of the AL’s best hitters after debuting at the tender age of 21 last August, batting .293/.373/.580 with nine homers and 25 RBI in 43 games. He ended up with 150 at-bats, so he won’t be eligible for Rookie of the Year honors this season. Perhaps he’ll just set his sights on the MVP award instead.
The Jays’ plan is to hit Lawrie seventh initially, with Adam Lind, Edwin Encarnacion and Colby Rasmus likely to follow No. 3 hitter Jose Bautista. Still, it’s worth wondering how long that will last. Everyone in that group of candidates to bat behind Bautista has significant upside, but Lawrie’s potential probably dwarfs them all.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)