Mar 11, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
Mozeliak didn’t get into many specifics about the diagnosis nor did he speak about a recovery timetable for the 36-year-old right-hander, but he did admit there is an awareness in the organization that a backup plan will be needed if Carpenter is forced to miss the first few weeks of the regular season.
“Internally, we’ve discussed it,” said Mozeliak. “We definitely think we need to implement that Plan B so I think over this week you’ll see someone start to stretch out a little bit.”
Lance Lynn was a starter in the minors and could get consideration. Kyle McClellan is another option, as is lefty Marc Rzepczynski, a former starter in the Blue Jays’ system. The Cardinals also have one of the top pitching prospects in baseball in Shelby Miller, though the plan right now is for him to open in Triple-A.
Free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt seems set on waiting until the middle of the season to join a team, but the St. Louis front office did make an offer to him at one point this winter.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)