Mar 11, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald reported in early February that the deal was done, but it apparently took a little while to make everything final.
Concepcion, 20, was named Rookie of the Year in Cuba’s Serie Nacional last season after posting a 3.36 ERA in 101 2/3 innings. He defected from Cuba to Mexico in June and became a major league free agent in mid-January. The Cubs will probably get him started this year at a lower rung of Single-A.
UPDATE, 3:18 PM: According to beat writer Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, the deal comes with a $3 million signing bonus and the other $3 million is spread across the five-year deal.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 26
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (112)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)