Mar 11, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Rays left-hander David Price injured his neck Thursday while toweling off between innings during a Grapefruit League start against the Tigers.
But it was only a minor tweak and might not affect his spring training throwing program whatsoever.
According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, Price is likely to be cleared to make his regularly scheduled start Tuesday against the Orioles. And if he’s pushed back at all, it will only be for one day.
“When I woke up (on Friday) it felt almost normal,” an optimistic Price told the Times on Saturday.
The 26-year-old southpaw registered a sparkling 3.49 ERA and 1.14 WHIP in 34 starts last year for the Wild Card-winning Rays, striking out 218 batters and issuing only 63 walks across 224 1/3 innings of work.
UPDATE, 11:41 AM: Price made it through a bullpen session Sunday, according to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune, and proclaimed himself ready for Tuesday. The Rays haven’t made anything official.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)