Mar 11, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Rays left-hander David Price injured his neck Thursday while toweling off between innings during a Grapefruit League start against the Tigers.
But it was only a minor tweak and might not affect his spring training throwing program whatsoever.
According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, Price is likely to be cleared to make his regularly scheduled start Tuesday against the Orioles. And if he’s pushed back at all, it will only be for one day.
“When I woke up (on Friday) it felt almost normal,” an optimistic Price told the Times on Saturday.
The 26-year-old southpaw registered a sparkling 3.49 ERA and 1.14 WHIP in 34 starts last year for the Wild Card-winning Rays, striking out 218 batters and issuing only 63 walks across 224 1/3 innings of work.
UPDATE, 11:41 AM: Price made it through a bullpen session Sunday, according to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune, and proclaimed himself ready for Tuesday. The Rays haven’t made anything official.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 0
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 35
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)