Aaron Cook unlikely to be in Red Sox’s rotation mix

Mar 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

aaron cook getty Getty Images

Carlos Silva‘s shoulder problems took him out of the running for a spot in the Red Sox’s rotation and manager Bobby Valentine indicated today that Aaron Cook is also unlikely to win the fifth-starter competition while recovering from shoulder problems of his own.

Valentine replied “I doubt it” when asked if Cook would have enough time to build up his arm strength, although he also told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that the team still views Cook as a starter option eventually.

Silva and Cook being out of the mix leaves Alfredo Aceves, Andrew Miller, Felix Doubront, and Vicente Padilla battling for one spot. Aceves would be the obvious choice, assuming the Red Sox don’t feel they need him more in the bullpen.

1. aceshigh11 - Mar 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I think Aceves is far too valuable in the bullpen. He’s a guy who can come in and perform long relief for several innings without missing a beat.

2. odj810 - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

i’d like to leave it to the 2 young guys with great stuff dubront and miller. see which one can earn the job and then keep the job. Make it a competition

• homelanddefense - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I saw enough of Miller last year, no thanks. Aceves would be my choice

• odj810 - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM

its really just me praying that he’s going to come into his own and fulfill his potential. Your right though, thats very unlikely to happen. aceves is the safe choice.

3. bosoxfan1950 - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I agree that Aceves is more valuable as a long-term, anytime reliever than as a #5 starter. Unfortunately the Red Sox hierarchy don’t see it that way. And I also agree that in as much as I would ;love to see Miller get his act together, I doubt it will happen.
    My question is: What about Tazawa? He certainly performed well today in the latter innings against the Yankees.

• homelanddefense - Mar 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Id rather see Aceves give you a good 180 innings as a starter rather than 70 in relief. You can always find a long man for your BP.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4028)