Brad Lidge says Nationals are “probably the most talented team I’ve ever been on”

Mar 12, 2012, 4:48 PM EDT

Brad Lidge AP

Brad Lidge said in a video interview with MLB.com that the Nationals are “probably the most talented team I’ve ever been on and I’ve been on some great teams.”

Including, of course, the 2008 Phillies that won the World Series thanks in large part to Lidge’s dominance in the ninth inning.

And also the 2009 Phillies that won the NL pennant. Or the 2010 Phillies that won 97 games. Or the 2011 Phillies that won 102 games.

Going back further, he was on the 2005 Astros that won the NL pennant and … well, you get the idea.

Obviously the Nationals have improved a ton and look, on paper at least, like very legitimate contenders this season. But c’mon. Washington went 80-81 last season, so they’d need to improve by a dozen games just to match the record of the worst team Lidge has been on during the previous four years (and that team won the World Series).

1. drmonkeyarmy - Mar 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM

My first instinct is to say bad things about Brad Lidge. However, then I remember the perfection that was 2008. As a result of that perfection, the Phillies won the World Series. Therefore, Lidge gets a lifetime pass from me. He can say whatever dumb shit he wants and it shall not faze me.

• sasquash20 - Mar 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Free pass all the way. But that team is loaded with young talent.

• 18thstreet - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Perfect?

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM

For heaven’s sake….no losses, no blown saves.

• 18thstreet - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM

That’s only a reflection of the flaws of the losses and saves statistic. He lost that game (to the extent that any one pitcher can), but wasn’t given a statistic to show it.

Saves are lousy stats, and pitcher wins/losses are lousy stats. He had a great year, but he wasn’t perfect.

• bwebster614 - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Perfect? Yes. Was that a blown save or blown lead? No.

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Give the statistical arrogance a rest please. You and everybody else on here knew what I meant. No reason to start with this type of nonsense.

• HitsDingers - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I’m with you, in that not going to boo him or anything, but that’s just an asinine thing to say by Lidge

• delawarephilliesfan - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I will give him a pass on this, but at the same time, he will not live that quote down unless the Nats win the division.

Brad – lil help (not that it will matter now) you say as talented as any team you have been on….even that would raise eyebrows, but at least you leave some wiggle room that you aren’t disrespecting past teams.

2. sasquash20 - Mar 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Hes is right. There is a lot of young talent on that team. They might not be able to put it all together yet but I feel they will be a very good team in the not to distant future.

• borninfellspoint - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:09 AM

As a lifelong Orioles fan,I cant help but wish the Nats the very best. They do look good on paper tho.

3. natstowngreg - Mar 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Ah, Spring Training, when every team is undefeated.

I’ve loved all the positive vibes for the Nats since last August. But I think our season ticket group (actually, half-season) will be patient, and not decide how to divvy up our playoff tickets just yet.

4. stlouis1baseball - Mar 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM

They should definately be exciting to watch.

5. kandh2004 - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Man I was going write all kinds of crazy shit about Lidge till I read drmonkeyarmy and I have to agree now. Championships have a way of making everything all right

6. xmatt0926x - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Nats seem to have a nice young team. However, if I was a nats fan I wouldn’t worry about what Lidge is saying right now. Your concern should be what he will likely be saying later in the year when you’ll get the constant “I feel great. I had great stuff” after yet another wild inning where he’s walking the world and can’t get his only pitch available (slider) over the plate yet again. As others have said, he gets a lifetime pass for 2008, but that’s about it. He was just as significant in the 2009 loss to the Yankees as he was for the 2008 win and he hasn’t been much since. My pet peeve with him has always been that no matter how bad he does he will never just say ” I sucked tonight” or just admit that he didn’t have it. It’s always that he felt great and he can’t believe he didn’t shut the other team down even though everyone with eyes saw the horrible performance. But, when he can occasionally get that slider over he will dominate an inning here or there. At this point though he’s more name than actual producer.

7. xmatt0926x - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I just wanted to add that Lidge is as nice a human being as you can ever see in professional sports. I think he could be on the worst team of all time and he would say positive things. That’s not to take away from the Nats at all. Even though i’m a Phillies fan I have been semi-following the Nats for a couple seasons now and I think they are becoming a very legitimate squad. I actually buy them much more than the Marlins this year.

8. foreverchipper10 - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM

He also believes he is doing the hurdle drill correctly.

9. 78mu - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Lidge is a nice guy and all. But did that HR Pujols hit off him in 2005 finally come down and hit him on the head?

Those Phillies teams were loaded and any of them had enough talent to win the WS. Even those Houston teams from 2004 and 2005 had more talent. The Nats are building a nice young team but how many players on this years team will outperform their counterparts on the Phillies from 2008 or 2009?

• ezwriter69 - Mar 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM

He didn’t SAY they’d outperform them, he said they had more raw talent. You know baseball talent better than him?

• 78mu - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM

In the quote Lidge just says talent, not raw talent unless those quotation marks don’t mean what I think they mean. If they don’t perform better I’m not sure they can be called more talented. Isn’t evidence of talent how the players actually perform?

I’m not sure how good Lidge is at evaluating talent since he doesn’t have a track record of drafting or trading for players. It was more likely Lidge was offering pablum for the fans in D.C. than making an honest assessment of the relative talent levels of the teams he’s played on.

10. aceshigh11 - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Ahh, c’mon…what the hell is he supposed to say, really?

Gotta admire their moxie…good young team. The Werth(less) contract is still an albatross, though.

11. offseasonblues - Mar 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

“But c’mon. Washington went 80-81 last season, so they’d need to improve by a dozen games just to match the record of the worst team Lidge has been on during the previous four years”.

Looks like they’re perfectly primed.
    1966 Red Sox: 70-92
    1967 Red Sox: 90-72
    The Nats have a much smaller hill to climb.

12. ezwriter69 - Mar 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

He didn’t say they were the best team, he said they were the most talented… and I’d say he’s a better judge of that than any of y’all. Talent often fails to result in success, in any line of work. In a way, he’s calling his teammates out, it seems to me, saying no excuses, we’re good enough to win, let’s do it.

• caravan70 - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Perfect comment, and excellent distinction you’ve drawn. Lidge’s words give his teammates incentive to live up to his high praise.

13. Chris K - Mar 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

When is Terry Francona going to release a statement that Lidge saying this is “just a PR move”

14. Jeremy Fox - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

They say the memory is the first thing to go in old age.

Kidding aside, I’ll always think well of Lidge for the job he did as the Phils closer in ’08, plus of course he’s going to talk up his new team. So I’m not bothered by this at all.

15. caravan70 - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Following on ezwriter69’s comments on talent not necessarily leading to success: I respect the Phillies and their ability tremendously, but they sort of remind me of the Braves in the 90s and early 2000s, who won what, 11 straight division titles and only one World Series? Love or hate the Yankees, for instance, you have to admit that they finish what the start. And I say this as a Giants fan, and they’ve won one since 1954, so I don’t really come to this conclusion with any particular bias. I wish the Nationals well – they’re an exciting young team, and I’m looking forward to seeing them play this year.

16. stex52 - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Chalk Lidge up to having to say something to a reporter. If he had said “young talent with a promising future” he might have been right. God knows the Astros were already ancient in 2005.

17. fdiddy - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Free pass. 2008. Total team player and a club house boost even when he sucked wind on the mound from injury. Hoping the Phils can hold up to what the Nats and Miami sound machine are building. Washington is going to be right there and can’t deny the team that they have built. 126 mil to Werth may have been a tad extreme but at least that are spending and hoping they can fill the stands. Same for little Havana. No fans = no money to get players.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline