Mar 12, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT
Carlos Beltran hasn’t played since the Grapefruit League opener, sitting out a week with a sore shoulder and the flu, but he’s back in the Cardinals’ lineup today.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he’ll start at designated hitter and bat third in a split-squad game against the Braves.
Allen Craig is unlikely to be recovered from knee surgery before May, so the Cardinals can’t afford to have Beltran too far behind schedule heading into Opening Day. Beltran missed significant amounts of the 2009 and 2010 seasons with injuries, but played 142 games last year while hitting .300 with 22 homers and a .910 OPS.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 1
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)