Mar 12, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT
Carlos Beltran hasn’t played since the Grapefruit League opener, sitting out a week with a sore shoulder and the flu, but he’s back in the Cardinals’ lineup today.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he’ll start at designated hitter and bat third in a split-squad game against the Braves.
Allen Craig is unlikely to be recovered from knee surgery before May, so the Cardinals can’t afford to have Beltran too far behind schedule heading into Opening Day. Beltran missed significant amounts of the 2009 and 2010 seasons with injuries, but played 142 games last year while hitting .300 with 22 homers and a .910 OPS.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)