Mar 12, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
Chipper Jones has hinted at retirement on numerous occasions over the past couple of seasons, but it’s hard to find a time where he was more gloomy about his outlook than he was earlier today.
After going hitless in three at-bats against the Cardinals to drop to 0-for-8 during Grapefruit League action, Jones told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he’s not sure how much longer his body will hold up.
“Tomorrow might be my last day,” he said “I don’t know. I don’t really focus on it that much. The body is starting to tell me every morning when I wake up that it’s getting close. I’m signed through the end of this year. If I play in a certain amount of games, I got an option for next year. I don’t know what next year entails. I don’t know if I can make it through this year.”
Jones, who turns 40 next month, acknowledged that his right knee is hurting more than he thought it would. This is the same knee which required arthroscopic surgery last July. And that’s not a good sign.
Jones is owed $14 million this season in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $42 million contract. His deal includes a $7 million club option for 2013 which vests automatically if he plays at least 123 games this season. The future Hall of Famer appeared in 126 games last season while batting .275/.344/.470 with 18 homers, 70 RBI and an .814 OPS.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)