Mar 12, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
Chipper Jones has hinted at retirement on numerous occasions over the past couple of seasons, but it’s hard to find a time where he was more gloomy about his outlook than he was earlier today.
After going hitless in three at-bats against the Cardinals to drop to 0-for-8 during Grapefruit League action, Jones told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he’s not sure how much longer his body will hold up.
“Tomorrow might be my last day,” he said “I don’t know. I don’t really focus on it that much. The body is starting to tell me every morning when I wake up that it’s getting close. I’m signed through the end of this year. If I play in a certain amount of games, I got an option for next year. I don’t know what next year entails. I don’t know if I can make it through this year.”
Jones, who turns 40 next month, acknowledged that his right knee is hurting more than he thought it would. This is the same knee which required arthroscopic surgery last July. And that’s not a good sign.
Jones is owed $14 million this season in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $42 million contract. His deal includes a $7 million club option for 2013 which vests automatically if he plays at least 123 games this season. The future Hall of Famer appeared in 126 games last season while batting .275/.344/.470 with 18 homers, 70 RBI and an .814 OPS.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)