Mar 12, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
Chipper Jones has hinted at retirement on numerous occasions over the past couple of seasons, but it’s hard to find a time where he was more gloomy about his outlook than he was earlier today.
After going hitless in three at-bats against the Cardinals to drop to 0-for-8 during Grapefruit League action, Jones told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he’s not sure how much longer his body will hold up.
“Tomorrow might be my last day,” he said “I don’t know. I don’t really focus on it that much. The body is starting to tell me every morning when I wake up that it’s getting close. I’m signed through the end of this year. If I play in a certain amount of games, I got an option for next year. I don’t know what next year entails. I don’t know if I can make it through this year.”
Jones, who turns 40 next month, acknowledged that his right knee is hurting more than he thought it would. This is the same knee which required arthroscopic surgery last July. And that’s not a good sign.
Jones is owed $14 million this season in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $42 million contract. His deal includes a $7 million club option for 2013 which vests automatically if he plays at least 123 games this season. The future Hall of Famer appeared in 126 games last season while batting .275/.344/.470 with 18 homers, 70 RBI and an .814 OPS.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)