Mar 12, 2012, 7:04 PM EST
Chad Jennings of the Journal News reports that Robertson was able to ditch his walking boot this afternoon and played catch without pain. While it’s unclear when he’ll be cleared to resume throwing off a mound, he expressed confidence that he’ll be in the Yankees’ bullpen for the season opener against the Rays on April 6.
As long as I don’t have any setbacks, I don’t see why I wouldn’t be, he said.
Robertson, who turns 27 in April, was one of the best relievers in the game last season, posting a microscopic 1.08 ERA and a dominant 100/35 K/BB ratio over 66 2/3 innings while setting up for Mariano Rivera.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)