Mar 12, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
Sad news to pass along from Padres’ camp.
Padres’ vice president of player development and international scouting Randy Smith told Corey Brock of MLB.com that prospect infielder Drew Cumberland has ended his comeback attempt.
Cumberland retired for the first time last summer after being diagnosed with bilateral vestibulopathy, a rare inner-ear condition which can cause blurred vision, dizziness and headaches. The 23-year-old has a history of concussions dating back to before he was a supplemental first-round pick of the Padres back in 2007. He was cleared to resume his career after visiting with concussion specialists in November, but his symptoms resurfaced this spring.
“I talked to Cumby [Sunday] and he said that his symptoms had returned and he just wasn’t going to be able to continue,” said Randy Smith, the Padres’ vice president of player development and international scouting.
“I told him to take as much time as he needs … but I don’t think that the outcome is going to change.”
Cumberland was ranked as the organization’s No. 9 prospect by Baseball America last offseason after batting .316/.380/.430 over his first four professional seasons. It’s a shame his career is over at such a young age, but hopefully his condition eventually improves to the point where he can have some quality of life again.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 22
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)