Mar 12, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
No catcher has played in 100 major league games in his age-22 season since Brian McCann in 2006. Hector Sanchez probably won’t be the next — actually, Kansas City’s Salvador Perez figures to pull off the feat if he stays healthy this season — but he is bidding to make the Giants as a backup catcher and pinch-hitter at age 22.
The switch-hitting Sanchez homered from both side of the plate after coming off the bench Sunday against the Mariners, giving him three homers and eight RBI in 14 at-bats for the spring.
Even before his outburst, the Giants were giving a lot of thought to carrying Sanchez. As things stand now, both of their best bench bats — Brandon Belt and Mike Fontenot — are lefties, as are the regulars they’re most likely to want to pinch-hit for (shortstop Brandon Crawford and outfielder Nate Schierholtz). They definitely need a better righty stick than Ryan Theriot‘s to combat lefty relievers late in games.
That’s where Sanchez could step in. And if he hits, then the Giants would feel a lot better about giving Buster Posey one or two starts per week at first base. The Giants have Eli Whiteside penciled in as Posey’s backup, but Sanchez would be a more intriguing option to start those games when Posey slides over.
One would think that’d have to play into a decision to keep Sanchez. He’s still too young and too raw to be limited to a couple of starts per month and the handful of extra at-bats he’ll get as a pinch-hitter. He’d be better off in the minors if he’s not occupying a significant role in San Francisco.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)