Mar 12, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
While the first-round of spring cuts is usually reserved for guys with no major league experience, the Rays demoted some bigger names Monday, sending down pitchers Alex Cobb, Alex Torres and Chris Archer, as well as first baseman Juan Miranda.
The 24-year-old Cobb went 3-2 with a 3.42 ERA in nine starts for the Rays last season and would have broken camp as a fourth or fifth starter for a bunch of major league teams this spring. Unfortunately for him, though, the Rays traded none of their six starters over the winter, leaving him seventh on the depth chart, and with either Wade Davis or Jeff Niemann going to the pen, there was no role for him in relief either. He’s getting sent down now so he can continue to stretch out as a starter at minor league camp.
Torres and Archer also rank among the Rays’ top prospects. Torres was 9-7 with a 3.08 ERA in Triple-A last season and had a 3.38 ERA in eight innings for the big-league club. Archer, who came over from the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal, was 8-7 with a 4.42 ERA in Double-A. All three pitchers will be in the rotation at Durham to begin the year.
Miranda briefly topped the Rays’ depth chart at first base before Carlos Pena was brought back over the winter. He began last season as Arizona’s first baseman and hit .213/.315/.402 in 174 at-bats. He was 0-for-9 this spring.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)