Mar 12, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
While the first-round of spring cuts is usually reserved for guys with no major league experience, the Rays demoted some bigger names Monday, sending down pitchers Alex Cobb, Alex Torres and Chris Archer, as well as first baseman Juan Miranda.
The 24-year-old Cobb went 3-2 with a 3.42 ERA in nine starts for the Rays last season and would have broken camp as a fourth or fifth starter for a bunch of major league teams this spring. Unfortunately for him, though, the Rays traded none of their six starters over the winter, leaving him seventh on the depth chart, and with either Wade Davis or Jeff Niemann going to the pen, there was no role for him in relief either. He’s getting sent down now so he can continue to stretch out as a starter at minor league camp.
Torres and Archer also rank among the Rays’ top prospects. Torres was 9-7 with a 3.08 ERA in Triple-A last season and had a 3.38 ERA in eight innings for the big-league club. Archer, who came over from the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal, was 8-7 with a 4.42 ERA in Double-A. All three pitchers will be in the rotation at Durham to begin the year.
Miranda briefly topped the Rays’ depth chart at first base before Carlos Pena was brought back over the winter. He began last season as Arizona’s first baseman and hit .213/.315/.402 in 174 at-bats. He was 0-for-9 this spring.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)