Mar 12, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
While the first-round of spring cuts is usually reserved for guys with no major league experience, the Rays demoted some bigger names Monday, sending down pitchers Alex Cobb, Alex Torres and Chris Archer, as well as first baseman Juan Miranda.
The 24-year-old Cobb went 3-2 with a 3.42 ERA in nine starts for the Rays last season and would have broken camp as a fourth or fifth starter for a bunch of major league teams this spring. Unfortunately for him, though, the Rays traded none of their six starters over the winter, leaving him seventh on the depth chart, and with either Wade Davis or Jeff Niemann going to the pen, there was no role for him in relief either. He’s getting sent down now so he can continue to stretch out as a starter at minor league camp.
Torres and Archer also rank among the Rays’ top prospects. Torres was 9-7 with a 3.08 ERA in Triple-A last season and had a 3.38 ERA in eight innings for the big-league club. Archer, who came over from the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal, was 8-7 with a 4.42 ERA in Double-A. All three pitchers will be in the rotation at Durham to begin the year.
Miranda briefly topped the Rays’ depth chart at first base before Carlos Pena was brought back over the winter. He began last season as Arizona’s first baseman and hit .213/.315/.402 in 174 at-bats. He was 0-for-9 this spring.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 2
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)