Mar 12, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
The Tigers hoped they were picking up two key pieces for their pitching staff when they acquired Doug Fister and David Pauley from the Mariners last summer, but while Fister exceeded even their highest expectations, Pauley was a dud, and the reliever earned his release from the team on Monday.
Pauley, who had a 2.15 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP in 54 1/3 innings before the trade, went 0-2 with a 5.95 ERA for Detroit. The Tigers made the choice to move on after he gave up four runs in two-thirds of an inning in his third appearance of the spring.
One wonders if the Mariners might make a move to reacquire Pauley now. The 28-year-old has always been viewed as a fringe pitcher because of his below average fastball, but he allowed just two runs and 13 hits in 27 innings at Safeco Field last season. The big ballparks certainly suit his game, so he might also be of some interest to the Padres, A’s or Rays.
With Pauley out of the mix, the Tigers will have a job up for grabs in their pen. Jose Valverde, Joaquin Benoit, Phil Coke, Octavio Dotel, Daniel Schlereth and Collin Balester are set for six spots. If they stick with their internal options, the vacancy could go Brayan Villarreal or Duane Below.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)