Mar 12, 2012, 5:37 PM EST
The Tigers hoped they were picking up two key pieces for their pitching staff when they acquired Doug Fister and David Pauley from the Mariners last summer, but while Fister exceeded even their highest expectations, Pauley was a dud, and the reliever earned his release from the team on Monday.
Pauley, who had a 2.15 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP in 54 1/3 innings before the trade, went 0-2 with a 5.95 ERA for Detroit. The Tigers made the choice to move on after he gave up four runs in two-thirds of an inning in his third appearance of the spring.
One wonders if the Mariners might make a move to reacquire Pauley now. The 28-year-old has always been viewed as a fringe pitcher because of his below average fastball, but he allowed just two runs and 13 hits in 27 innings at Safeco Field last season. The big ballparks certainly suit his game, so he might also be of some interest to the Padres, A’s or Rays.
With Pauley out of the mix, the Tigers will have a job up for grabs in their pen. Jose Valverde, Joaquin Benoit, Phil Coke, Octavio Dotel, Daniel Schlereth and Collin Balester are set for six spots. If they stick with their internal options, the vacancy could go Brayan Villarreal or Duane Below.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)