Today was Ozzie Guillen’s first ejection as Marlins manager

Mar 12, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen Getty Getty Images

Not very many managers get ejected from spring training games, but then again no one has ever accused Ozzie Guillen of being the average manager.

Guillen was arguing a call in the sixth inning against the Red Sox this afternoon when he got the boot for the first time as Marlins skipper.

He was ejected 27 times in eight seasons as the White Sox’s manager, which is once every 49 games and fewer than I probably would have guessed.

Congrats, Ozzie!

1. firstandonlywarning - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Pic or it didn’t happen

2. gallaghedj311 - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Great story. I love it. Keep up the entertaining posts. I wouldve guessed more than that too

3. sportsdrenched.com - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Is this the first Marlins being Marlins post of the season?

And when was the last time a skip got booted in spring training? Surely Bobby Cox has done that.

4. shep1957 - Mar 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Why is this clown still managing?

• cerowb - Mar 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM

If I could give this post more than one thumbs up, I would.

5. chiadam - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Ozzie is in full Ozzie mode already. He should be crying about a contract extension by June.

6. vivabear - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM

This is the perfect opportunity for Gator to rehash the reasons the Marlins made such a huge mistake by hiring Ozzie in the offseason. Also, to point out his low intelligence…or something.

• protius - Mar 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Somewhere Gator is having a seizure and a beer.

• Old Gator - Mar 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

An O’Doule’s Octoberfest dark special, to be exact. The seizure was actually another moment of inspiration which, as William Blake noted in The Marriage of the City and the Suburbs, looks like torment and insanity to the bourgeois.

Now that Slobbering Ozzie is feesh accompli, despite all the tuning and assorted other psychokinetic, alchemical, infernal, yogic and rhetorical forces I expended against this unfortunate situation, and his first pointless expulsion a matter of akashic record, there’s no point in rehashing the reasons why bringing him to Macondo was such a catastrophic mistake. He now takes over my arguments and lives them out in full view of the discerning and indiscriminate alike, permitting me to concentrate on the rest of the team, the ownership, administration and associated public relations, financial and political scandals currently erupting in Macondo around them and their giant Cuisinart™ of a stadium with with the regularity of a vibrating cesium atom.

• protius - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Gator, someday, just for the fun of it, I’d like to hear Ozzie and Jose Reyes do the two grave diggers (clowns) scene from Hamlet. If you can’t understand either of them now, could you imagine what that would sound like?

Ozzie—What is he that builds stronger than either the mason, the shipwright, or the carpenter?

Jose—The gallows-maker, for that frame outlives a thousand tenants.

Hilarious.

7. natstowngreg - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM

It’s Spring Training. Why shouldn’t Ozzie practice getting tossed?

8. hammyofdoom - Mar 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Best part of the ejection was when he came out to argue some guy in the audience with a Boston accent yelled “WHAT ARE YOU DOIN’ OZZIE?! ITS SPRING TRAINING!” Was truly beautiful

• Old Gator - Mar 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Reminds me of a backandforthandbackandforthandbackandforthball game I attended at Fulham Stadium when I was living in London. During one of the recesses in the monotony, the teams retreated to their respective sides of the field where they sat around extending and retracting their feet like malfunctioning microsurgical snakes and wiping their necks with towels (without doing much damage to themselves, by the way – Brits are tough, especially the ones who went to public schools). Whereupon an old man in a 1950s era suit, heavy hornrimmed glasses, bowtie and a battered Trilby pulled himself erect on his cane and cried, “Don’t just sit there, Fulham….practice!

Guess you had to be there. Pardon me, I’m going downstairs for a Scotch egg and some Coleman’s for my sinuses.

9. diehardcubbiefan4life - Mar 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Someones already in midseason form.

10. rollteal - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Classic

11. severinsmith - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:44 AM

God I wished the Red Sox had signed him. I love this guy.

• Old Gator - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Scrooge McLoria can be bought. Go ahead and bid. Please.

12. john638 - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM

He always has a chip on his shoulder. He’s a bounty hunter and should be in the NFL.

13. stex52 - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM

And it won’t be the last!!!!!! Bwahahahahaaaaaaaa!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3806)