Vance Worley turns in the line of the spring so far

Mar 12, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT

Vance Worley Getty Images

And then complains about it.

Vance Worley, who was such a nice surprise as a rookie starter for the Phillies last season, struck out eight in four perfect innings Monday in a win over the Pirates. Apparently, though, he would have preferred some grounders.

“It’s too early to strike out a bunch of guys,” Worley said. “I’d rather get contact, because that helps you get deeper into games. Today, I happened to get a lot of swings and misses and some takes in there, too. If they’re going to give them to me, I’ll take them.”

Worley said he was pitching angry today after giving up two runs and five hits in two innings against the Astros in his spring debut last week.

“I sat on my couch and thought about it, even though you’re not supposed to think about it,” he said. “I basically said, `I know I’m better than that.’ I wasn’t going to let it happen again. I had a little fire in me today.”

Worley, 24, went 11-3 with a 3.01 ERA last season. He’s expected to serve as the Phillies’ fourth starter behind Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels.

1. lyon810 - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM

first world problems

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:42 PM

In a first world life.

When we live in a third world enviornment, we can have their problems.

Your record’s broken.

• bjavie - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Huh?

2. ame123 - Mar 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Unleash the Vanimal.

3. chalkruz1989 - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Vance Worley is enjoying the simple fact that opposing teams are overly focused on the likes of Roy Hallady, Cole Hamels, and Cliff Lee. He doesn’t have an amazing out pitch nor has incredible velocity, so it’s only time before he starts getting roughed up.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3351)