Chipper Jones was just kidding about the “I don’t know if I can make it through this year” stuff

Mar 13, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

Washington Nationals v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Chipper Jones made headlines yesterday for his “I don’t know if I can make it through this year” quote, but not surprisingly he clarified those comments today and made it very clear that he was just kidding around:

Unfortunately, I said it around two guys who don’t know me very well and they didn’t realize I was kidding around. One of the guys asked, “You think you can make it through the season with your knees?” I said, “Make it through the season, I don’t know if I can make it through tomorrow.”

Obviously, I’m joking.  That’s an obvious joke.  Really, I just came off the field after playing eight innings.  I’ve had eight at-bats all spring.  I was kidding around. It was tongue and cheek. I was kidding.  I just got done playing eight innings with three at-bats.  I was a little tired.  I wasn’t by any means suggesting I couldn’t make it through the season.  If I didn’t think that I could, I wouldn’t be out there.

So that’s that. Jones is 40 years old and retirement has seemingly been on his mind for a while now, but he was plenty effective last season and, if reasonably healthy, seems likely to be plenty effective again this season. He’s yet to post an OPS under .800 in 17 full seasons as a big leaguer.

1. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Cranberry can take him off his prayer list!!

• cranbery - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

That is her prayer list, and he stays on……………..I love this guy!

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM

My apologies.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM

You are killing me Broke! Her “it breaks my heart” comment should have screamed Girl.
      On the other hand though…SHE could have been a guy was interested in all the colors of the “rainbow” and everthing it represents. LOL! But I will give you props on your “what are you 12″ reply. It made me laugh out loud.

2. braddavery - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Things I want to see from Chipper in 2012; 45+ walks (giving him 1,500+), 135+ hits (giving him 2,750+), 1+ stolen bases (giving him 150+) and 16+ homeruns (giving 470+). Just some milestones I hope he can accomplish before he hangs it up. One of the greats regardless.

• El Bravo - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM

All are reasoable except stealing one bag…

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Not if it’s Brad Lodge on the mound

• shaggylocks - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Eh, they might sneak him in on the front end of a double steal or something. Crazier things have happened in baseball.

• El Bravo - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Crazier things have and do happen in baseball, alright. For instance, David Ortiz has hit a triple in his career. Furthermore, David Ortiz has hit a triple in every season since 2000. That’s just uncanny.

3. phukyouk - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

so… was he joking or not? i couldnt tell based on his statement

4. renorocker - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Practice? Man are we talking practice? I can’t believe we are sitting here talking practice…man

• hasbeen5 - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM

That reference never gets old

5. buffalomafia - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Again! Why doesn’t Braves ownership go after David Wright?

• hasbeen5 - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:01 PM

He’s hurt as much as Chipper and not as good offensively.

• bobulated - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I agree Hasbeen but that being said David Wright is still a very good player most days; he gets way too much blame for the Mets struggles. Whoever steps into Chipper’s shoes full time for 2013 and beyond will have big shoes to fill.

6. firstandonlywarning - Mar 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Just retire already ego-maniac
    Mike Schmidt you are not

• cranbery - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Please don’t disrespect Chipper………..it is not nice!

7. dowhatifeellike - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

It still doesn’t sound good if he was “a little tired” after playing 8 innings in a spring training game. Granted, my baseball-playing days ended at the ripe old age of 20, but unless you’re pitching or catching I fail to see how baseball is tiring.

I think what he meant was that his knees were hurting, and if that’s the case it’s only going to get worse as the season progresses.

8. gorilladik81 - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

You can call him chipper, but he will always be Larry to me.

• plmathfoto - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM

don’t call him larry,he hates that! oh wait, what did he name his son? moron! also i posted yesterday that it seemed like a cry4aatention, looks pretty valid 2day

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I am right there with you Gorilla. Larry. Larry is a good baseball player. Larry is one of the best switch hitters in the game. I have always respected Larry’s talent on the Baseball Diamond.

9. Walk - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Actually chipper doe not hate the name larry. He has mentined it before that the name chipper is just a nickname given because he was “a chip off the old block” and the name chipper was used because his dad was also named larry. But by all means continue to believe what you will.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet