Mar 13, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Chipper Jones made headlines yesterday for his “I don’t know if I can make it through this year” quote, but not surprisingly he clarified those comments today and made it very clear that he was just kidding around:
Unfortunately, I said it around two guys who don’t know me very well and they didn’t realize I was kidding around. One of the guys asked, “You think you can make it through the season with your knees?” I said, “Make it through the season, I don’t know if I can make it through tomorrow.”
Obviously, I’m joking. That’s an obvious joke. Really, I just came off the field after playing eight innings. I’ve had eight at-bats all spring. I was kidding around. It was tongue and cheek. I was kidding. I just got done playing eight innings with three at-bats. I was a little tired. I wasn’t by any means suggesting I couldn’t make it through the season. If I didn’t think that I could, I wouldn’t be out there.
So that’s that. Jones is 40 years old and retirement has seemingly been on his mind for a while now, but he was plenty effective last season and, if reasonably healthy, seems likely to be plenty effective again this season. He’s yet to post an OPS under .800 in 17 full seasons as a big leaguer.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120