Mar 13, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Chris Denorfia has yet to play a spring training game because of a lower back injury and manager Bud Black told Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune that the Padres are worried he won’t have enough to time be ready for Opening Day.
There is a little concern. He’s not progressing to the point where we know when he’s going to get into a game. It takes time to get game ready.
Denorfia is slated to be San Diego’s fourth outfielder, but figures to get a sizable amount of playing time because he can back up all three spots behind starters Cameron Maybin, Carlos Quentin, and Will Venable. If he starts the season on the disabled list 36-year-old Mark Kotsay could be pushed into more outfield action.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming