Mar 13, 2012, 9:27 AM EST
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com spoke to current Reds and former Cubs manager Dusty Baker about the Cubs’ rebuilding effort. And about how Theo Epstein, Dale Sveum and the new regime are basically asking that Cubs fans be patient during the team’s rebuild.
Baker wishes Sveum the best, but he noted that, based on his experience, patience isn’t an easy sell for Cubs fans:
“From my experience, patience wasn’t a real virtue here,” Dusty Baker said Monday. “They’ve been patient for a hundred years. That’s a hard sell in Chicago – more patience. They might be patient for a little while, but unlike any other place I’ve been, they count. People count. They can add real good in Chicago. Everybody – men, women and children.”
He probably has a point. But at the same time, when was the last time a Cubs rebuild was particularly well-thought-out? I think fans, even Cubs fans, are likely to respond better to a rebuild that is driven by smart people and makes baseball sense as opposed to one that appears to have more emphasis on the tear-down than the build-up.
All of which is to say that maybe this time, with Theo and Jed Hoyer running things, Cubs fans may surprise Dusty Baker a bit.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 17
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 110
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (110)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)