Mar 13, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com spoke to current Reds and former Cubs manager Dusty Baker about the Cubs’ rebuilding effort. And about how Theo Epstein, Dale Sveum and the new regime are basically asking that Cubs fans be patient during the team’s rebuild.
Baker wishes Sveum the best, but he noted that, based on his experience, patience isn’t an easy sell for Cubs fans:
“From my experience, patience wasn’t a real virtue here,” Dusty Baker said Monday. “They’ve been patient for a hundred years. That’s a hard sell in Chicago – more patience. They might be patient for a little while, but unlike any other place I’ve been, they count. People count. They can add real good in Chicago. Everybody – men, women and children.”
He probably has a point. But at the same time, when was the last time a Cubs rebuild was particularly well-thought-out? I think fans, even Cubs fans, are likely to respond better to a rebuild that is driven by smart people and makes baseball sense as opposed to one that appears to have more emphasis on the tear-down than the build-up.
All of which is to say that maybe this time, with Theo and Jed Hoyer running things, Cubs fans may surprise Dusty Baker a bit.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)