Mar 13, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com spoke to current Reds and former Cubs manager Dusty Baker about the Cubs’ rebuilding effort. And about how Theo Epstein, Dale Sveum and the new regime are basically asking that Cubs fans be patient during the team’s rebuild.
Baker wishes Sveum the best, but he noted that, based on his experience, patience isn’t an easy sell for Cubs fans:
“From my experience, patience wasn’t a real virtue here,” Dusty Baker said Monday. “They’ve been patient for a hundred years. That’s a hard sell in Chicago – more patience. They might be patient for a little while, but unlike any other place I’ve been, they count. People count. They can add real good in Chicago. Everybody – men, women and children.”
He probably has a point. But at the same time, when was the last time a Cubs rebuild was particularly well-thought-out? I think fans, even Cubs fans, are likely to respond better to a rebuild that is driven by smart people and makes baseball sense as opposed to one that appears to have more emphasis on the tear-down than the build-up.
All of which is to say that maybe this time, with Theo and Jed Hoyer running things, Cubs fans may surprise Dusty Baker a bit.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)