Mar 13, 2012, 7:13 PM EDT
Expanded playoffs were rushed across the finish line in time for the 2012 season. But expanded instant replay? Unfortunately we’ll have to wait for at least another year.
The new collective bargaining agreement called for replay to include calls on trapped balls, fair-or-foul calls and fan interference. However, Ben Walker of the Associated Press reports that MLB and the unions representing for the umpires and the players were unable to agree on a plan to implement it for this season.
“We weren’t able to come up with an acceptable set of agreements between the three parties,” MLB executive vice president for labor relations Rob Manfred told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “We hope we’ll be able to do it in time for the 2013 season.”
There are still some logistics to work out, such as who would ask for a challenge and whether umpires or an MLB official would be tasked with making the final decision on calls. Not surprisingly, most of the resistance seems to be coming from the umpires. Walker notes they want something in return for the use of expanded replay, perhaps in the form of additional retirement or disability benefits or even a seventh umpire for postseason crews.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)