Michael Young: “Father Time doesn’t mean anything to me”

Mar 13, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT

Michael Young

Michael Young had a pretty damn good last year for a dude who was 34 years-old. But according to this feature by — let me see … oh, it’s Evan Grant, imagine — Young is pretty defiant when it comes to aging:

“Father Time doesn’t mean anything to me. People who lose their competitive edge or their drive, those are the ones when age starts creeping up. There are a lot of people who have beaten Father Time … I feel like I’m competing with myself and my own expectations … As far as age or anybody thinking about any magic numbers, that means nothing to me.”

That’s the only way to deal with it if you’re an athlete, I suppose. Believe that you’re invincible until you’re not, even if aging and decline will inevitably take their toll.

Although maybe Young has a way around it. Maybe, if Father Time gets the best of him, he’ll just ask to be traded.

1. phillyphreak - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

“Father Time doesn’t mean anything to me”

A real team leader would show his love and support for the hard work Father Time puts in.

2. largebill - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM

You can take “Father Time” to OT or extra innings, but he always eventually wins.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

“On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. ”

I am Jack’s Fight Club quote

• JBerardi - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

“The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead.” – John Maynard Keynes

3. jimmyp70 - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

“If they sign Father Time, I demand a trade.”

4. El Bravo - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I was waiting for the backhanded jab at his previous trade request…people just gotta hate!!!

• paperlions - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM

You know….if he didn’t bitch to the media every time he was asked to switch positions and publicly demand trades….no one could bring it up. But he did, so they can.

The reason Michael Young keeps having to switch positions?

Father Time.

• scatterbrian - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM

“trade requests”

FTFY

5. dwishinsky - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

As an A’s fan I just figured that headline meant Michael Young was a douche bag who didn’t care for his kids. Liked that line of thinking more that what this all turned out to be…

6. lewp - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM

“oh, it’s Evan Grant, imagine”

I have personally tried to get media credentials from the Rangers to throw my rwo cents in, but I guess Evan Grant pays the Rangers off to keep the monopoly going….who knows?

7. paperlions - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I would love to see the alternate universe version of this post; one in which Craig interviewed MY during his visit to AZ.

8. aceshigh11 - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM

He’s a year older than me, and he’s talking like he’s got one foot in the grave.

Depressing.

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Don’t feel so bad. The 40’s and most of the 50’s were terrific for me. They are just not so good if you are a professional athlete.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Oh, I know that age is viewed in a totally different frame of reference for a professional athlete, but it’s still jarring to hear.

9. sportsdrenched.com - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

There are a lot of people who have beaten Father Time …

Really? Who?

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Except Jamie Moyer

• Jeremy Fox - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Maybe he was thinking of Satchell Paige?

Or maybe he meant “There are a lot of people who have beaten Father Time once, even though Father Time won the rematch.”

Snark aside, I’m sure Craig’s right: it’s just an example of the irrational faith in one’s own abilities that, while it may not be obligatory for pro athletes, certainly seems common. It’s so difficult to become and remain a major leaguer, and the odds against you are so long, that you’d have to be nuts to think you could succeed. And so the people who succeed are nuts, in the narrow sense that *nothing* can shake their faith in their own abilities.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Keith Richards?

Lemmy Kilmister?

• umrguy42 - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Definitely those two. Possibly Lemmy even more than Keith, after I read an article on his daily “diet”.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Lemmy is 66, still drinks two bottles of Jack Daniels a day, and definitely has Gene Simmons beat on his black book list. He’s ridiculously immortal.

10. navel gazing - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Annnd, welcome back, Craig! Come for the baseball, stay for the snark!

Let’s see if Young can continue to defy the odds, and keep convincing writers that he’s exceptional, while he’s merely above average.

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Perhaps this is really a sociological comment on the state of the education system, and Michael Young is raging against his own lack of understanding of biology and other sciences that would establish age-related decline as an inevitability.

• JBerardi - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Well he does play for Texas.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4690)