“Rival executives” believe Fredi Gonzalez is on the hot seat

Mar 13, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Braves v Washington Nationals Getty Images

Those Rival Executives. Always taunting me like this. Rosenthal, after reminding us that the Braves are 1-10 this spring, reports:

Gonzalez, unlike the Boston Red Sox’s Terry Francona, survived his team’s collapse, in large part because the Braves value stability.

A poor start, though, could alter the equation. Rival executives believe that Gonzalez, entering the second year of a three-year contract, already is on probation.

I’m not going to get my hopes up that my least favorite Braves manager in many years might get canned. Because the thing about the Braves I dislike even more than Fredi is its corporate ownership. And the Braves’ corporate ownership likely wouldn’t approve getting rid of Gonzalez if it meant having to pay two managers at once. Would mess up the ledger that someone spent a good bit of time making look all neat.

1. Kevin S. - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

The wrong manager got fired. Hey, with any luck, Francona’ll want back in once Fredi gets canned. Of course, he’s probably out of their price range.

2. sdelmonte - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I will note that it’s not hard for Fredi to be your “least favorite manager in many years,” since Cox was there forever.

And at least you seem to like him better than Collins.

3. hasbeen5 - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM

They won’t fire him. I hear they’re going to institute a ban on bunting, and either he’ll quit or his head will explode.

4. randygnyc - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The braves have the potential to be serious under achievers this year. Perhaps a bigger disappointment than the Mets, albeit, with a better record.

5. El Bravo - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Craig, I’m gonna need to see your definition of “many”.

6. hcf95688 - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Chipper Jones: Player-Manager.

• cltjump - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM

FTW.

7. amaninwhite - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Gonzalez’s employment is hanging by whatever is left of Craig Kimbrel’s UCL.

• Old Gator - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Yeah, Fat Fredi’s kinda like the portrait of Dorian Gray – every time one of his players gets hurt, his prospects for continued employment get uglier.

8. jason1214 - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Corporate ownership. Yikes, I feel for Braves fans and ownership is already being tightwads with the money.

9. Walk - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Fredi was the best third base coach the braves have had that i can recall since mid 80′s. I am sure someone will shoot me down with facts, but who needs those i saw it and you had to be there. Just kidding on last part but i really thougth he did well as a third base coach. No matter what people say snitker sucked the big one as a third base coach so maybe that made fredi look so good to me. As far as being a manager is concerned fredi made a lot of mistakes and while i would rather have had someone like francona it is hard to follow a manager like cox. Best bet is to hire a young manager like fredi and if they make mistakes then hire an older experienced manager, heres looking at you joe torre, and both management and new manager will look tremendous while the legendary manager rides into sunset. I was extremely upset at how pitching was managed last year as well as fredi’s calls in running game. Just because prado is in the leadoff spot is no reason for him to attempt a steal, then whole issue of batting pitcher eighth then admitting he was just trying it without knowing why tlr did it, ahhhhh i think i better quit now. Good luck bravos.

Three legends off to Cooperstown