Mar 13, 2012, 11:23 PM EST
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, Perez suffered an unspecified knee injury while warming up starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez prior to this afternoon’s game against the Reds. He felt well enough to play, but was pulled after catching just one inning.
Royals manager Ned Yost wasn’t aware of the extent of the injury immediately following the game, but Perez had a “noticeable limp” and was sent to a local medical facility for tests, including an MRI. We should learn more about his status at some point tomorrow.
“I’m not going to overly concern myself until I hear what the deal is with him,” Yost said. “A lot of things at this time of year are precautionary. But, yeah, honestly, it’s a little bit of a concern.
“I don’t know the extent of it. I know it was sore, and they wanted to get him out right away and try to figure out what it was.”
Perez made his major league debut last August and batted .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances. The 21-year-old signed a five-year, $7 million contract extension with the Royals last month which includes club options from 2017-2019.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)