Mar 13, 2012, 11:23 PM EDT
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, Perez suffered an unspecified knee injury while warming up starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez prior to this afternoon’s game against the Reds. He felt well enough to play, but was pulled after catching just one inning.
Royals manager Ned Yost wasn’t aware of the extent of the injury immediately following the game, but Perez had a “noticeable limp” and was sent to a local medical facility for tests, including an MRI. We should learn more about his status at some point tomorrow.
“I’m not going to overly concern myself until I hear what the deal is with him,” Yost said. “A lot of things at this time of year are precautionary. But, yeah, honestly, it’s a little bit of a concern.
“I don’t know the extent of it. I know it was sore, and they wanted to get him out right away and try to figure out what it was.”
Perez made his major league debut last August and batted .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances. The 21-year-old signed a five-year, $7 million contract extension with the Royals last month which includes club options from 2017-2019.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)