Mar 13, 2012, 11:23 PM EDT
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, Perez suffered an unspecified knee injury while warming up starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez prior to this afternoon’s game against the Reds. He felt well enough to play, but was pulled after catching just one inning.
Royals manager Ned Yost wasn’t aware of the extent of the injury immediately following the game, but Perez had a “noticeable limp” and was sent to a local medical facility for tests, including an MRI. We should learn more about his status at some point tomorrow.
“I’m not going to overly concern myself until I hear what the deal is with him,” Yost said. “A lot of things at this time of year are precautionary. But, yeah, honestly, it’s a little bit of a concern.
“I don’t know the extent of it. I know it was sore, and they wanted to get him out right away and try to figure out what it was.”
Perez made his major league debut last August and batted .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances. The 21-year-old signed a five-year, $7 million contract extension with the Royals last month which includes club options from 2017-2019.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 42
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 18
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)