Mar 13, 2012, 11:23 PM EDT
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, Perez suffered an unspecified knee injury while warming up starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez prior to this afternoon’s game against the Reds. He felt well enough to play, but was pulled after catching just one inning.
Royals manager Ned Yost wasn’t aware of the extent of the injury immediately following the game, but Perez had a “noticeable limp” and was sent to a local medical facility for tests, including an MRI. We should learn more about his status at some point tomorrow.
“I’m not going to overly concern myself until I hear what the deal is with him,” Yost said. “A lot of things at this time of year are precautionary. But, yeah, honestly, it’s a little bit of a concern.
“I don’t know the extent of it. I know it was sore, and they wanted to get him out right away and try to figure out what it was.”
Perez made his major league debut last August and batted .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances. The 21-year-old signed a five-year, $7 million contract extension with the Royals last month which includes club options from 2017-2019.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)