Sandy KOH’-faks to be a witness in the Mets-Madoff case

Mar 13, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT

2011 Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Getty Images

The Bernie Madoff-New York Mets trial begins soon. As baseball has cranked back up, our blow-by-blow of that stuff has scaled back, if for no other reason than it has gotten a tad boring.

But this is interesting:

NEW YORK (AP) – Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax (KOH’-faks) is among witnesses scheduled to testify at a trial next week to determine if the New York Mets’ owners must give up millions of dollars they received from jailed financier Bernard Madoff (MAY’-dawf).

Interesting because Koufax is awesome, yes. But also because in this day and age someone decided that it was necessary to put the phonetic spelling of his name in the article.

Which makes me incredibly sad.  I thought that when the federal government took over the school systems ten years ago that they’d at least do useful things like teach every boy and girl the important stuff like who Sandy Koufax is. What are we teaching our children these days?

And you think I’m joking.

1. fearlessleader - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Yikes! Some web editor is going to be in trouble—the AP includes those for TV readers, but somebody’s supposed to delete them before they hit the web or the print media.

Anyway, it should be “Bernie Madoff (Made-off-with-Wilpon’s-money).”

• jimbo1949 - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I see those phonetics (FUN ettiks) a lot, mostly on NYT.com. They come in handy at times.

• larrytsg - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I thought the issue was that Madoff actually PAID the Wilpons some of the astronomical returns that were promised. So it’s the Wilpons who “Madoff” with other people’s money.

2. IainRWB - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM

You mean it’s not KOO’-faks?

3. koufaxmitzvah - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Sandy’s looking good. 72 years young.

• drunkenhooliganism - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM

If he could lift his left hand that high, he’d still be an ace.

4. sdelmonte - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Well, we don’t want people to confuse Sandy KOH’-faks with Ernie KO-vaks.

Though I would pay good money to see Ernie Kovacs as a witness in any trial. Or better yet, the Nairobi Trio.

• natstowngreg - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Yikes. I remember Ernie Kovaks. I also had a Sandy Koufax glove (and a Roger Maris bat) back when they were still playing. God, am I old.

*wanders off to shoot self*

• sdelmonte - Mar 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I only know Kovacs from reruns on the Comedy Channel before it became Comedy Central. But I love his stuff.

5. El Bravo - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

What are we teaching the kids these days? Ask Texas…

6. randygnyc - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Ask the corrupt unions.

• azvikefan - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM

The kids today are taught that socialism is good and everything should be given to you and it’s always someone else’s fault.
      Just ask the occupiers.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM

You got it Arizona. Love yourself. Love your neighbor. Love your neighbors Son who plays his drums at 2:30 A.M. Love the millions of people committing wellfare fraud. Love government regulation. Love the Polar Bears. Love the ice caps. Love the little crustaceans the Penguins feed on. Love the Penguins. Love the hand outs. Love the trees. Love the Deer. Love the illegal Aliens. Love high taxes. Love high gas prices.
        Love the Government “teet.” Love
        Doesn’t all this love make you feel “warm and fuzzy.”

7. mekons5 - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I think that’s a tag meant for newscasters that accidentally got sent out to all. However, I have a great Koufax story. Back when I had a press pass (from my university), I took my youngest brother Bill to spring training and he got his own pass. We were all sitting around on those bumps out in the outfield at Dodgertown to take advantage of a beautiful sunny day and I looked around, and Bill was gone. I asked the other people with us if they had seen him and one said, um, look at the pitcher’s mound. And there was Bill with Sandy Koufax and Koufax was showing Bill, a lefty, how to do a wind up and throw a curve. And signing a ball for him. I’m still green with envy. And you know, Sandy doesn’t look a day older than he did back then, which must have been 1981 or 2. We spend a lot of time being cynical about players, but most of them are really good guys. During the same game, Chris Chambliss was taken out by the Braves after six innings, and went straight to the wall and started signing autographs. I went over near the end and got in line. A bunch of young kids came running over and I let them go in front of me. We were still a long way at the end of the line and when I got to the front, Chris said, that was nice of you to let those kids go first. I said, it’s pretty nice of you to stand out here sweating to sign for all those kids. Dunno how he even noticed what was going on at the end of the line. Lotta nice people in baseball.

8. stew48 - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

re: mekons5

Yes there are. While I was waiting for my friend in the Tigers parking lot one year, I was standing near Jim Lemon, who was involved in a discussion with a man in a suit, yes, suit. A kid approached and asked for his autograph. Lemon told him he was busy at the moment, but to wait and he would sign for him. The kid waited a few minutes then left, thinking he had been stiffed. The next thing I heard was Lemon yelling at him to get back here and wait like I asked you to do. The kid did and got his autograph. The best story was Sparky, though. My friend, the Tiger Trainer, told me that Sparky stopped and signed each and every day on his departure from the park.

9. mekons5 - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

My favorite nice guy stories have to do with Warren Spahn. When I was a little kid, he was my idol. Still is. I sent a letter with a 1960 card asking for an autograph. I had no idea about including a stamp or a self addressed envelope. A few weeks later, the card came back, autographed and addressed by Spahn, with a nice note enclosed.

The next year, I went to the All-Star game at Fenway, my first game ever. I was screaming like crazy. Two college kids held me up and called to him and he came over, signed my glove, then took me on the field and introduced me to Brooks Robinson and Mickey Mantle and a few others. My whole baseball card collection, standing in front of me. Probably the best day of my life. The game was a tie and it rained most of the time, but I did not care.

10. gwhempel - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

More Sandy Koufax stories!

Most of what I know about Sandy is from a view documentaries I’ve seen and stories from my uncles telling me how great he was. It’s crazy how well he kept himself out of the limelight the past 40 some years. I kind of view him as a mythical baseball legend.

His segment in “Jews and Baseball” is really awesome. I’ve never seen another interview with him like that. Very soft-spoken, seems like the kinda guy that you would be glad is your grandpa.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3533)