Mar 13, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
The Bernie Madoff-New York Mets trial begins soon. As baseball has cranked back up, our blow-by-blow of that stuff has scaled back, if for no other reason than it has gotten a tad boring.
NEW YORK (AP) – Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax (KOH’-faks) is among witnesses scheduled to testify at a trial next week to determine if the New York Mets’ owners must give up millions of dollars they received from jailed financier Bernard Madoff (MAY’-dawf).
Interesting because Koufax is awesome, yes. But also because in this day and age someone decided that it was necessary to put the phonetic spelling of his name in the article.
Which makes me incredibly sad. I thought that when the federal government took over the school systems ten years ago that they’d at least do useful things like teach every boy and girl the important stuff like who Sandy Koufax is. What are we teaching our children these days?
And you think I’m joking.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 134
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (136)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)