Mar 13, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
I posted yesterday about the new eight-pound “StrasBurger” the Nationals will be selling at their concession stands this season and Adam Vingan of NBCWashington.com took a closer look at the monstrous hamburger.
Turns out, not so healthy:
Colleen Gerg, a registered dietitian from Chevy Chase, Md., did a general breakdown of the “nutritional value” — or more appropriately, the lack thereof — of the StrasBurger. According to Gerg, the StrasBurger is somewhere between 8,000-10,000 calories, packs 600-700 grams of fat, 200-300 grams of saturated fat and 2,500-3,000 milligrams of sodium. It seems that the Nationals are advertising the burger as something to be shared, but even then, it still packs a wallop.
“If the burger is split four ways, each person’s portion would therefore be at least 2,000 calories, 150 grams of fat, 50 grams saturated fat and 625 mg of sodium,” Gerg said in an email Monday. “All of these are higher than what many, if not most, people need in an entire DAY, except for sodium.”
To put that in some context, while losing 150 pounds in one year I never once ate more than 2,000 calories in a day and there were definitely plenty of weeks in which I consumed fewer than 10,000 total calories.
StrasBurger might be worse for you than Tommy John surgery.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)