Shockingly, the Nationals’ new eight-pound “StrasBurger” is really, really bad for you

Mar 13, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

scale help

I posted yesterday about the new eight-pound “StrasBurger” the Nationals will be selling at their concession stands this season and Adam Vingan of NBCWashington.com took a closer look at the monstrous hamburger.

Turns out, not so healthy:

Colleen Gerg, a registered dietitian from Chevy Chase, Md., did a general breakdown of the “nutritional value” — or more appropriately, the lack thereof — of the StrasBurger. According to Gerg, the StrasBurger is somewhere between 8,000-10,000 calories, packs 600-700 grams of fat, 200-300 grams of saturated fat and 2,500-3,000 milligrams of sodium. It seems that the Nationals are advertising the burger as something to be shared, but even then, it still packs a wallop.

“If the burger is split four ways, each person’s portion would therefore be at least 2,000 calories, 150 grams of fat, 50 grams saturated fat and 625 mg of sodium,” Gerg said in an email Monday. “All of these are higher than what many, if not most, people need in an entire DAY, except for sodium.”

To put that in some context, while losing 150 pounds in one year I never once ate more than 2,000 calories in a day and there were definitely plenty of weeks in which I consumed fewer than 10,000 total calories.

StrasBurger might be worse for you than Tommy John surgery.

1. phukyouk - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I just want to point out ( to a plethora of thumbs down i’m sure) that Strassburg is not YET a great player. he has not had anything close to enough time to be considered any sort of player except for an exciting one to watch.

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Advertising my friend. Logic be damned. Seize the moment before he turns out to be a .650 career OPS.

Not that I think he will, but this is about marketing.

• phukyouk - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM

yea but the Nats are the not ones that called him “Great” it was the person that wrote the article for NBCwashington.

• foreverchipper10 - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

If Strasburg has a career .650 OPS I would say he is one helluva batting pitcher.

• stex52 - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM

OOPS. I was thinking Harper and writing about Strasburg. Sorry about that.

• samu0034 - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM

So what?

• runyetirun - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Oh thank god you pointed this out. Somebody run and cancel the plans for the Wilson Ramosalad, as he is also not yet a great a player. Wouldn’t want the marketing on concessions to confuse people about a player’s talent/worth.

• phukyouk - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM

maybe you read the article THEN you comment? kthxbye

• contraryguy - Mar 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

so he’s the Tim Tebow of MLB?

2. SmackSaw - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

• ThisIsBaseball - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM

The Nat’s AA team in Harrisburg had a Strasburger last season. It wasn’t this massive though. It was barely larger than a regular burger you could get at the stadium.

• JBerardi - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

“Holy mackerel! I bet Michelle Obama buys season tickets after hearing about this.”

Why?

3. mdpickles - Mar 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The Nats need a new marketing department. This smells like a minor league team stunt to get people to come to the park.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Or maybe on the sports bar menu at the Heart Attack Grill.

4. stex52 - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Admittedly the burger is a case of wretched excess for publicity. But face it. If your evening at the park consisted of a dog, nachos, some of that popcorn covered with tropical oils and massive amounts of salt and two or three monster beers, you are not doing that well, either.

Bad food is part of the ballpark experience.

5. icanspeel - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I don’t think anyone who orders an 8 lb burger would be surprised it isn’t good for you. Even if split 4 ways that means each person gets 2 lbs of food

• nategearhart - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM

You beat me to it. That’s enough for SIXTEEN people to get a 1/2 pound burger, which is a pretty damn big one (especially with the trimmings).

• jimbo1949 - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I want to know how much meat is actually on the burger, or WHERE’S THE BEEF?

“Weighing eight pounds total (including toppings),
      the StrasBurger is a monstrous all beef burger (combination of ground brisket, chuck and short ribs). The burger is served on a large burger bun with our secret sauce, American cheese, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced red onions, pickle chips and served with a cone basket of fresh cut fries and a pitcher of your choice of soft drink.”

• kcfanatic - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Couldn’t you just see a guy eating this burger with a Diet Soda?

• JBerardi - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Or perhaps a “Lite” beer.

6. thefalcon123 - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

If it’s spit 4 ways, that is still a 2 lb hamburger per person. I’ve eaten a lot of hamburgers in my life, and I’ve eaten many large ones. But I’ve never even eaten a 1 pound hamburger much less one twice that size.

A good sized diner burger is about 0.5 lbs. That would mean, to get a hamburger that equals what you get at your local greasy spoon or Applebees, the Strausberger would need to be split 16 ways!

• chadjones27 - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I’ve eaten a burger that was layered with two (2) half-pound patties and two 1/2 inch think fried mozzeralla wheels. These monstrosities exist. And people will eat them. Sounds like Man Vs Food should show up and do a StrasBurger Challenge. Adam Richmond is my hero.

• thefalcon123 - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I think that it’s only fair for you to do the right thing and opt out of Medicare.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

In fairness to the Nats, who is thinking that 2lbs of a burger (1/4 of the Strasburger) is a serving? Even1/8 would be over a pound, and more than most people can eat.

• thefalcon123 - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Gotta love how 4 people commented to make the exact same point at the same time….

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM

We all just think what Craig tells us to think. ;-)

8. skids003 - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

How much does it cost?

9. winkeroni - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I’m of the belief that a 1/2 pound burger is more than enough. This burger is 16x the size of what I would consider a more than filling burger. They have to be charging at least triple digits for this thing.

10. sdelmonte - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Thanks, Aaron, for this reality check. Like you, I’ve lost weight, though not nearly as much. And like you, I get really unhappy when I see this sort of mindset about food.

11. badmamainphilliesjamas - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I’m SHOCKED–SHOCKED–to find there are calories and fat in such a dish!

• umrguy42 - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

…Your philly cheesesteak, madam.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM

THIS is MY Philly cheesesteak…

Note: no Velveeta, no CheezWhiz.

• umrguy42 - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I hate to complain about thumbs-downs, but seriously… what other parallel was I supposed to use for “Your winnings, Captain” in response to a Phillies fan?

And that cheesesteak sounds sounds good (although gotta be honest, that pic they have is not very appealing) ;p

• umrguy42 - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM

12. theotherfamousamos - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Yeah, these high falutin’ nutritionists who chime in about how unhealthy everything is drive me nuts.

No one thinks it’s healthy. I’m skinny and fit and I’d love to order this thing and give it a try. Once. It’s not like I’m going to eat this every game. If you gorge in moderation and eat healthy for the most part – if you’re capable of that kind of self-restraint – then you can get this thing.

While the nutritionists are right that it greatly exceeds the recommended fat and calorie limits, most normal people wouldn’t order this thing more than once in their lives. If I lived anywhere near D.C., I know my plan: I would eat a light breakfast, order this with a bunch of friends during a day game, and then almost certainly be too full to eat anything again until breakfast the next day. Then I would eat lightly the next couple of days.

Most people who order it will do so for the novelty. They will probably eat less than an eighth of it. And just as stex52 posted, eating your share of this it’s pretty much the same level of unhealthiness as the guy who eats a couple of hot dogs, a side of fries, a sundae and maybe 2-3 monster size beers.

13. chadjones27 - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM

How would you share this thing? 4 dudes sitting in a row with a plastic knife trying cut this monster up into 4 sections? Anyone have an idea of the cost?
    I can eat a lot, but, there’s no way a normal person could finish an 8 lb burger. I ate a 2 pound steak once. It took me an hour… ant that was only (ONLY?) 2 pounds.

14. trigzter - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

buy one, and share it with your entire row.

15. screaminzab - Mar 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM

How hard is it to spell Strasburg? Or for that matter, StrasBurger?

16. jwbiii - Mar 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Oddly enough, this is not on the ballpark’s “Healthy Options” list.

• natstowngreg - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

The closest option to our seats is South Capital Grill, in the Stars & Stripes Club. You don’t see many fans leaving there with veggie burgers.

Nearby is the Carvery, with roast beef and turkey sandwiches. You can put lettuce and tomato on them. That’s healthy, right?

17. sfm073 - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM

155lbs in one year isn’t a healthy amount of weight to lose in one year?

• chadjones27 - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM

That’s really only 3 pounds a week. When you’re that heavy, rapid weight loss probably isn’t that unhealthy considering you’re losing all fat at that point and you body hasn’t started breaking down healthy muscle yet. You want unhealthy? Look no further than “Biggest Loser.” Those guys can lose 7 to 15 pounds in a week.

• thefalcon123 - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Well, it depends. It sounds like didn’t starve himself and got extra exercise. He was very overweight so he was able to healthily create a much larger calorie deficit than someone smaller would.

So, for the sake or argument let’s say someone needs to eat 2000 calories to weigh 180 pounds. They currently weigh 300 pounds and eat 3500 calories a day. (3500-2000)*7=10,500 calories, which would be a lose of 3 pounds per week. If you starting at a lower weight and calorie total, you’ll naturally take create a smaller calorie deficit and take longer to lose weight. That is why people lose more weight at beginning of a weight loss plan and why it takes so much longer to get rid of the last 10 pounds.

Going from 350 to 200 in a year is actually a very healthy thing to do.

18. kiwicricket - Mar 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM

“Colleen Gerg, a registered dietitian from Chevy Chase, Md”

And there I was thinking his career flat-lined in the early 90’s.

• cleverbob - Mar 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM

You need to watch Community. He’s not dead yet.

19. southcapitolstreet - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM

That’s nothing – the DimitriYoungBurger had way more calories

• frank433 - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:16 PM

The meat hook? “eat and pillage like a Viking today, diabeetus tomorrow!”

20. metalhead65 - Mar 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM

does anyone fo to the ballpark and really worry about how healthy the food is? why spoil a good time by worrying about calories and nutrition? order what you want and shut up about about whether what I eat is good for me or not!

• theotherfamousamos - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Exactly. If I’m sitting at home, I’ll eat a salad. If I’m at the ballpark, I’ll eat crap. It’s one of my vices, and I’m not ashamed to enjoy life a little bit on the 8-10 days a year that I go to a ballgame. (Which is not to say that I’ll order the Strasburger 8-10 days a year, but I can eat unhealthy food when I’m at the game)

21. pastabelly - Mar 14, 2012 at 7:37 AM

It would take Josh Beckett two innings to eat that thing.

22. westcoastredbird - Mar 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Prince Fielder eats two a day – animal style – and it doesn’t affect him.

23. rgoldz - Mar 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Yeah, but without the bun, it’s low carb!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3480)