Mar 13, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
I posted yesterday about the new eight-pound “StrasBurger” the Nationals will be selling at their concession stands this season and Adam Vingan of NBCWashington.com took a closer look at the monstrous hamburger.
Turns out, not so healthy:
Colleen Gerg, a registered dietitian from Chevy Chase, Md., did a general breakdown of the “nutritional value” — or more appropriately, the lack thereof — of the StrasBurger. According to Gerg, the StrasBurger is somewhere between 8,000-10,000 calories, packs 600-700 grams of fat, 200-300 grams of saturated fat and 2,500-3,000 milligrams of sodium. It seems that the Nationals are advertising the burger as something to be shared, but even then, it still packs a wallop.
“If the burger is split four ways, each person’s portion would therefore be at least 2,000 calories, 150 grams of fat, 50 grams saturated fat and 625 mg of sodium,” Gerg said in an email Monday. “All of these are higher than what many, if not most, people need in an entire DAY, except for sodium.”
To put that in some context, while losing 150 pounds in one year I never once ate more than 2,000 calories in a day and there were definitely plenty of weeks in which I consumed fewer than 10,000 total calories.
StrasBurger might be worse for you than Tommy John surgery.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)