Mar 13, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Detroit’s top prospect is rapidly falling out of the mix for a rotation spot.
Though he’s just 20, Turner looked like the favorite to act as the Tigers’ fifth starter at the start of camp. Now it’s Andrew Oliver, who has pitched seven scoreless innings in official games and three more in an exhibition against a college team earlier this month. Drew Smyly, who has allowed one run in four innings, is also in the mix.
Turner got brought up in most the Tigers’ trade talks over the winter, with several teams trying to pry him away. The ninth overall pick in the 2009 draft, he had a 3.44 ERA and a 110/35 K/BB ratio in 131 innings between Double- and Triple-A last year. He went 0-1 with an 8.53 ERA in three late starts for Detroit.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)