Mar 13, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
Major League Baseball just announced that two Minor League players from the Minnesota Twins organization have received 50-game suspensions for taking PEDs.
They’re not major minor league players — they’re pitchers Yeison Florentino and Ezequiel Zarzuela of the team’s Dominican Summer League team — but not everyone can be Ryan Braun. They tested positive for metabolites of Nandrolone and metabolites of Stanozolol, respectively.
They should hire Braun’s lawyer. He would argue that they were not attempting to enhance performance. They were doing controlled scientific testing. Their paper — “On the benefits of competing metabolites; Nandrolone vs. Stanozlol” — was going to be published in a respected medical journal next summer.
That’s how I’d argue it, anyway.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)