Mar 13, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
Major League Baseball just announced that two Minor League players from the Minnesota Twins organization have received 50-game suspensions for taking PEDs.
They’re not major minor league players — they’re pitchers Yeison Florentino and Ezequiel Zarzuela of the team’s Dominican Summer League team — but not everyone can be Ryan Braun. They tested positive for metabolites of Nandrolone and metabolites of Stanozolol, respectively.
They should hire Braun’s lawyer. He would argue that they were not attempting to enhance performance. They were doing controlled scientific testing. Their paper — “On the benefits of competing metabolites; Nandrolone vs. Stanozlol” — was going to be published in a respected medical journal next summer.
That’s how I’d argue it, anyway.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27