Mar 14, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Taylor Teagarden is expected to be sidelined for several weeks after being diagnosed with a slight ligament tear in his lower back.
Manager Buck Showalter indicated that the injury is less severe than it sounds, but also admitted that Teagarden’s status for Opening Day “is in jeopardy.”
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Teagarden got an epidural injection and will be shut down completely for at least a week, opening the door for Ronny Paulino to begin the season as Matt Wieters‘ backup.
Paulino signed a minor-league deal with the Orioles in January after spending last season backing up Josh Thole for the Mets, who non-tendered him.
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot