Mar 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Trade rumors swirled around Gavin Floyd all offseason as the White Sox shed various veterans in rebuilding mode and have picked up again with a report that the Blue Jays are interested in the 29-year-old right-hander.
Floyd tossed four innings of one-run ball yesterday and then responded to questions from Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune about whether he’s bothered by the rumors:
It’s a good thing in a way. Teams want you. But I want to be here, it’s our second home here. I look forward to making an impact in Chicago. I just was hearing things. People were text messaging me but until it happens you really don’t know. They’re all rumors, and a lot of those don’t necessarily come from the teams.
At this point it seems safe to assume that the White Sox are very willing to deal Floyd, but aren’t in any rush to do so unless they get an excellent return. Several sources have reported that the Blue Jays are in the market for veteran starting pitching, but in addition to Floyd they’ve also been linked to Joe Blanton of the Phillies.
Floyd, who threw 194 innings with a 4.37 ERA and 151/45 K/BB ratio last season, is owed $7 million this year with a $9.5 million team option for 2013.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)