Mar 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Trade rumors swirled around Gavin Floyd all offseason as the White Sox shed various veterans in rebuilding mode and have picked up again with a report that the Blue Jays are interested in the 29-year-old right-hander.
Floyd tossed four innings of one-run ball yesterday and then responded to questions from Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune about whether he’s bothered by the rumors:
It’s a good thing in a way. Teams want you. But I want to be here, it’s our second home here. I look forward to making an impact in Chicago. I just was hearing things. People were text messaging me but until it happens you really don’t know. They’re all rumors, and a lot of those don’t necessarily come from the teams.
At this point it seems safe to assume that the White Sox are very willing to deal Floyd, but aren’t in any rush to do so unless they get an excellent return. Several sources have reported that the Blue Jays are in the market for veteran starting pitching, but in addition to Floyd they’ve also been linked to Joe Blanton of the Phillies.
Floyd, who threw 194 innings with a 4.37 ERA and 151/45 K/BB ratio last season, is owed $7 million this year with a $9.5 million team option for 2013.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)