Mar 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Trade rumors swirled around Gavin Floyd all offseason as the White Sox shed various veterans in rebuilding mode and have picked up again with a report that the Blue Jays are interested in the 29-year-old right-hander.
Floyd tossed four innings of one-run ball yesterday and then responded to questions from Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune about whether he’s bothered by the rumors:
It’s a good thing in a way. Teams want you. But I want to be here, it’s our second home here. I look forward to making an impact in Chicago. I just was hearing things. People were text messaging me but until it happens you really don’t know. They’re all rumors, and a lot of those don’t necessarily come from the teams.
At this point it seems safe to assume that the White Sox are very willing to deal Floyd, but aren’t in any rush to do so unless they get an excellent return. Several sources have reported that the Blue Jays are in the market for veteran starting pitching, but in addition to Floyd they’ve also been linked to Joe Blanton of the Phillies.
Floyd, who threw 194 innings with a 4.37 ERA and 151/45 K/BB ratio last season, is owed $7 million this year with a $9.5 million team option for 2013.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)