Mar 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Trade rumors swirled around Gavin Floyd all offseason as the White Sox shed various veterans in rebuilding mode and have picked up again with a report that the Blue Jays are interested in the 29-year-old right-hander.
Floyd tossed four innings of one-run ball yesterday and then responded to questions from Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune about whether he’s bothered by the rumors:
It’s a good thing in a way. Teams want you. But I want to be here, it’s our second home here. I look forward to making an impact in Chicago. I just was hearing things. People were text messaging me but until it happens you really don’t know. They’re all rumors, and a lot of those don’t necessarily come from the teams.
At this point it seems safe to assume that the White Sox are very willing to deal Floyd, but aren’t in any rush to do so unless they get an excellent return. Several sources have reported that the Blue Jays are in the market for veteran starting pitching, but in addition to Floyd they’ve also been linked to Joe Blanton of the Phillies.
Floyd, who threw 194 innings with a 4.37 ERA and 151/45 K/BB ratio last season, is owed $7 million this year with a $9.5 million team option for 2013.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)