Mar 14, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reported earlier this week that John Lannan is a strong candidate to be traded before Opening Day, naming the Red Sox, Tigers, and Astros are teams interested in the Nationals left-hander.
Today general manager Mike Rizzo responded to that report, telling Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that the Nationals have indeed gotten “several calls” about Lannan recently, but “we are not actively shopping him.”
Of course, it’s not as if Rizzo would ever say “yup, we’re trying to unload him as soon as possible” and ultimately even if he’s telling the truth that wouldn’t preclude the Nationals from getting an offer they liked and pulling the trigger immediately.
It’ll be interesting to see if some team is willing to part with a quality prospect for Lannan, because while his results so far have been decent (4.00 career ERA in 128 starts) his strikeout rate of 4.7 per nine innings is awful, his walk rate of 3.4 per nine innings is pretty bad too, and he’s making $5 million this season with another raise likely for 2013 via arbitration.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)