Mar 14, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reported earlier this week that John Lannan is a strong candidate to be traded before Opening Day, naming the Red Sox, Tigers, and Astros are teams interested in the Nationals left-hander.
Today general manager Mike Rizzo responded to that report, telling Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that the Nationals have indeed gotten “several calls” about Lannan recently, but “we are not actively shopping him.”
Of course, it’s not as if Rizzo would ever say “yup, we’re trying to unload him as soon as possible” and ultimately even if he’s telling the truth that wouldn’t preclude the Nationals from getting an offer they liked and pulling the trigger immediately.
It’ll be interesting to see if some team is willing to part with a quality prospect for Lannan, because while his results so far have been decent (4.00 career ERA in 128 starts) his strikeout rate of 4.7 per nine innings is awful, his walk rate of 3.4 per nine innings is pretty bad too, and he’s making $5 million this season with another raise likely for 2013 via arbitration.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires