Flipped car, DUI arrest result in one-week suspension for Mets bullpen catcher

Mar 14, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

eric lanhill dui

Earlier this week Mets bullpen catcher Eric Langill was charged with a DUI after crashing into a street sign and flipping his Honda Accord following some drinks at a bowling alley.

Today the Mets suspended him without pay for seven days.

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Langill, who spent seven seasons in the minors before becoming the Mets’ bullpen catcher, will also be required to go to counseling.

In a statement the Mets described Langill as “contrite and very apologetic about Sunday night’s incident.”

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM

IF YOU DRINK, DON’T DRIVE. Why doesn’t a large portion of MLB understand this?

• spindervish - Mar 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Because a large portion of humanity doesn’t understand this? What would make you think pro athletes constitute a special class?

I mean come on…as horrible and selfish a decision as it is, I’m not gonna act like I’ve never done it myself.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Oh shut up. My statement was directed at MLB employees. That didn’t mean I think any other group of people don’t do the same thing. Don’t argue just to argue.

I for one have never done it.

• hammyofdoom - Mar 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

You know, its despicable when average people drink and drive, but sometimes it happens. However, when you make hundreds of thousands to dozens of millions of dollars a freaking year and your corporation has a system in place where you can get baby sat for free, there is NO goddamn excuse

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Exactly.

2. addict2sport - Mar 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I’ve seen this guy at local bars before. The 2 or 3 times I saw him, he was with some weathered blonde broad with a Snookie like tan and obnoxious fake boobs. When I was told he “played” for the Mets I remember being disappointed by his lack of better looking female companions. I’d drink too if I couldn’t parlay a MLB gig into better looking groupies for myself but driving while drinking these gals pretty is inexcusable. Call a freaking cab! He’s lucky, very lucky, that he didn’t kill himself or someone else in that wreck. A weeklong suspension seems light punishment for what had the potential to be a complete disaster. Let’s hope the guy learns his lesson. It could end up saving lives. On a much lighter note let’s also hope the guy finds a lady friend that is easy on the eyes without the beer goggles.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4815)