Mar 14, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
Nick Markakis made his spring training debut today after having abdominal surgery in January, going 0-for-2 with a walk as the Orioles’ designated hitter.
Afterward he told Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun that “it was fine” and “I was just happy to get out there and get some at bats and start this thing off right and get it going in the right direction.”
He’s scheduled to play the outfield for the first time on Tuesday, so it’s tough to get a good feel for his status until then considering Markakis didn’t have to move around much today.
For now he’s slightly ahead of the initial recovery timetable and, barring setbacks, should have time to be ready for Opening Day.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)