Mar 14, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
Nick Markakis made his spring training debut today after having abdominal surgery in January, going 0-for-2 with a walk as the Orioles’ designated hitter.
Afterward he told Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun that “it was fine” and “I was just happy to get out there and get some at bats and start this thing off right and get it going in the right direction.”
He’s scheduled to play the outfield for the first time on Tuesday, so it’s tough to get a good feel for his status until then considering Markakis didn’t have to move around much today.
For now he’s slightly ahead of the initial recovery timetable and, barring setbacks, should have time to be ready for Opening Day.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)