Mar 14, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
Nick Markakis made his spring training debut today after having abdominal surgery in January, going 0-for-2 with a walk as the Orioles’ designated hitter.
Afterward he told Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun that “it was fine” and “I was just happy to get out there and get some at bats and start this thing off right and get it going in the right direction.”
He’s scheduled to play the outfield for the first time on Tuesday, so it’s tough to get a good feel for his status until then considering Markakis didn’t have to move around much today.
For now he’s slightly ahead of the initial recovery timetable and, barring setbacks, should have time to be ready for Opening Day.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)