Mar 14, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
This has to be the last one of these, right? Games are being played. Pitchers are going more than two innings. Clearly we’re past the point where feature articles are being written about ballplayers rededicating themselves and all of that, right?
Oh well, for now at least, here’s the last one: Nick Swisher:
Yet few think of Swisher in that company, and he knows he’s running out of time to change outside perceptions. After a generally down year in 2011, he rededicated himself to his offseason workouts. He showed up ripped, and said he’s quicker, stronger, and faster than ever before—something manager Joe Girardi couldn’t help but notice.
“He’s all three of those—quicker, stronger, and faster. I think he gets around the bases better, I watch him in the outfield, I watched him play first base the other day—he’s swung the bat well,” Girardi said.
That “outside perceptions” stuff is about how, despite being a pretty darn productive player overall, people tend to think of him as more of a goofball than as a solid, dedicated ballplayer.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)