Mar 14, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Things have been rough for Robinson Chirinos since the season ended.
First the 27-year-old Rays catcher broke his hand playing winter ball and now he’s sidelined for at least the next few days after suffering a concussion from a foul tip to the mask on Monday.
Chirinos was acquired from the Cubs last winter in the Matt Garza deal and got into 20 games with the Rays, but spent most of last season putting up mediocre numbers at Triple-A. He’s competing with Jose Lobaton to back up veteran Jose Molina, which could be a pretty sizable role considering Molina’s poor hitting and previous lack of everyday experience.
Hopefully this concussion doesn’t derail Chirinos’ career like it has so many other players during the past few seasons.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)