Mar 14, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Things have been rough for Robinson Chirinos since the season ended.
First the 27-year-old Rays catcher broke his hand playing winter ball and now he’s sidelined for at least the next few days after suffering a concussion from a foul tip to the mask on Monday.
Chirinos was acquired from the Cubs last winter in the Matt Garza deal and got into 20 games with the Rays, but spent most of last season putting up mediocre numbers at Triple-A. He’s competing with Jose Lobaton to back up veteran Jose Molina, which could be a pretty sizable role considering Molina’s poor hitting and previous lack of everyday experience.
Hopefully this concussion doesn’t derail Chirinos’ career like it has so many other players during the past few seasons.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)