Mar 14, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Things have been rough for Robinson Chirinos since the season ended.
First the 27-year-old Rays catcher broke his hand playing winter ball and now he’s sidelined for at least the next few days after suffering a concussion from a foul tip to the mask on Monday.
Chirinos was acquired from the Cubs last winter in the Matt Garza deal and got into 20 games with the Rays, but spent most of last season putting up mediocre numbers at Triple-A. He’s competing with Jose Lobaton to back up veteran Jose Molina, which could be a pretty sizable role considering Molina’s poor hitting and previous lack of everyday experience.
Hopefully this concussion doesn’t derail Chirinos’ career like it has so many other players during the past few seasons.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)